Interesting Day For A Plant/cake Guy!

Decorating By handsomepants Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 4:35am by handsomepants

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:21am
post #1 of 6

I'm an interiorscaper/horticultrualist by trade and own a company which maintains indoor plants for offices and such. Today, I was out drumming up business and following-up on a referral with a management company of a historic building downtown. I gave them my sales pitch about plants, which was kinda squashed by the reply that they are VERY pleased with the current plant company they have a contract with. They did, however, suggest I take a look at another building they manage and give them a bid on that one instead. GREAT! Got what I came for!

Anyway, I'm not sure how we got on the subject, but I mentioned that I also do cakes on the side. This REALLY got their attention, and I quickly whipped out my iPhone and showed them my cake photos on my blog. I also had one of the ladies look up Cake Central and check out my photos on there as well while we were talking! icon_biggrin.gif

The more we talked, the more excited they got. The subject quickly turned to the building's 100th anniversary celebration they are planning for next year, and how awesome it would be to have a cake of the building for the party/celebration. They asked if I would do something like that, and I said "SURE"! We talked about the whole thing for about 15-20 minutes, and I seriously got jazzed about the idea and prospect of doing such a MAJOR cake!

The building is on the state's historical register and is 16 stories tall, with a lighted neon sign on a tower at the top (Oh YES! I WILL be making a lighted sign!). It's quite a building and it should be a challenge but fun to make! It's not going to be until next year, but I think I'll be getting some calls from them for birthday cakes in the mean time. When, and if, I get to do this cake, I will DEFINITELY be posting photos of it on CC!

It was a GREAT sales call with them...I got the oportunity to write up a proposal for my plant company for some potential NEW business, AND I may have just got some of my FIRST cake customers!! GREAT DAY TODAY!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:13am
post #2 of 6

That's awesome and I can't wait to see the cake pics when you get it done! One of these days I just know someone is going to want lights and stuff like they do on tv which I have totally never tried. Then you'll be able to tell us how to do it!

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 6

Wow! Congratulations! That was a GREAT day!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 6

I'm happy for you!!! icon_razz.gif

Erawin2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erawin2008 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 6

Congrats, wish you the best!

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:35am
post #6 of 6

Yeah, I'm hoping they don't forget. I just ordered some cards from Vistaprint to hand out, so maybe that will help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%