Can A Bride And Groom Cake Topper Clash With The Cake?

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm by KHalstead

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 21

After much thought I decided that the wedding cake I will make for a bride will be covered in ivory fondant with a fondant/gumpaste plaque in the centre with their initials on it with a border of piped pearls and scattered pearls on the whole cake. The bottom of the cake will be laced in gold ribbon. The cake is three tiers. I decided that ivory blended in well with the gold ribbon instead of having a white fondant cake. The bride just delivered the cake topper to me and now I am really undecided icon_sad.gif it is a ball and chains topper with the bride and groom and the base is white. I am worried that it will clash with the ivory. Should I just cover the cake with white fondant so it blends with the topper? Also, I have already done the plaque and initials in ivory. Will it be Ok if I put that on to a white cake?

20 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 21

I would just cover the base of the topper in ivory fondant LOL

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 21

If your making a really beautiful wedding cake there isn't a topper with a "ball and chain" that will look good. I love a good sense of humor but if you have a ball and chain topper then the cake just got down graded. IMO!!!
I also agree with KHalstead, cover or paint it with ivory. Make that darn thing work WITH you.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 21

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif "a ball and chains topper with the bride and groom icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Sorry--I think the least of your worries is the COLOR of the base of that topper!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not one single guest would ever notice if you painted it sky blue pink with a heavenly edge!!!!!!
All they'll be noticing is how gawd awful ugly and out of place the topper is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, talk about how to RUIN a lovely cake!

That said, I'd cover the bottom of the topper with some ivory fondant AND TAKE ALL OF MY PICS BEFORE ADDING THAT PIECE OF FLOTSOM!!!

Rae

MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 21

Its a bit difficult covering it in ivory as it is in the shape on 3 steps and the groom is sitting on it white the bride is standing. I can't really touch it. Would it really look odd if I placed an ivory plaque on white fondant cake? The cake will be sprayed with lustre spray (pearl).

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 21

I think toppers like that are terrible. Mine was a better topper than that and I still thought it was ugly (my mom found it and was really excited to buy it for us... so what are you gonna do?)

Is there any way you could just "forget" to stick it on top?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 21

Won't the color of the bride's dress also be white? If so, covering the base isn't going to do much other than minimize the clash.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 21

I agree with Blakescakes,
Take pictures before adding the topper. I wouldn't change the colors you're going to use for the cake.

KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 21

does the bride know that you're planning on ivory fondant?? If she knows, then don't worry about it.

and YES, take a photo before and after the topper is on!!

I had a cake like this recently, it wasn't that the cake topper was ugly or anything it was just gigantic.......like seriously almost a foot tall!! It totally dwarfed the cake......
LL
LL

KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 21

oh and did I mention, the bride ORDERED ivory fondant and then had a WHITE topper waiting for me lol.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 21

can you cover the whole topper with fondant, LOL, what are people thinking of, ugh

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 21

I would hope and pray that when the bride sees the cake finished without the topper she decides not to add it or just places it on the table next to the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 21

I agree that the least of your worries is whether the topper will clash in color. A ball and chain topper? Doesn't matter what color it is, it's cheesy regardless. Take your photo without the topper for your portfolio and don't worry about it too much.

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #14 of 21

oh good gracious... why in the world would someone put such a tacky topper on their WEDDING cake... seems to take all the beauty out of the wedding! Not just the cake! Gosh.
I say do exactly what you were planning on doing, and show the bride before you put the topper on... maybe she won't want it on their... and if she does... that's HER problem...
Take all your pics before putting it on though, just like others said.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:45pm
post #15 of 21

She originally wanted a white cake but thought the gold ribbon looked too harsh against the white and told her that off-white / ivory blends better with gold. I'll just photograph my cake without the topper.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:03pm
post #16 of 21

If I were her I'd order another cake just to put that ridiculous thing on and still have the "beautiful" wedding cake.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #17 of 21

I totally agree with you that some of these cake toppers are incredibly tacky! But a lot of brides think they're cute, they're just adorable, blah, blah, and it represents something to them. Who are we to judge their motives or their taste?

While it is our creation, it is THEIR wedding cake and they have the right to use whatever topper, table decor, etc. that they want. It's not our place to take offense at their choice (or lack of taste). In most cases, they have paid dearly for their wedding cakes and our only responsibility is to provide the cake that they want. Anything after that is really out of our control.

I would simply take a picture of the cake without the topper for your portfolio, then take a couple of more with the topper (for your records in case something happens to the cake once you leave the venue).

If you are in the wedding cake business, you will get many brides who will want these type toppers so it's really not worth your while to get upset with some of their choices. Just provide the cake to the best of your ability, take the money and move on to the next customer!

KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #18 of 21

talk her into a groom's cake with decoration of jail bars or something to put the topper on LOL

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 21

Just make the cake however you were going to make it, take your pictures, then stick the ugly topper on last minute. Does the bride know you're doing ivory? If she does, than it sounds like her problem not yours. I did my first wedding cake in January. The bride ordered ivory and when I showed up to deliver the cake, the whole venue was decorated in WHITE. It clashed, but it wasn't my call.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #20 of 21

KHalstead I burst out laughing when I saw that gigundo topper on that beautiful cake! That's hilarious!

and I agree, just take your picture before the topper is on!

KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm
post #21 of 21

wasn't it huge??? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%