What Buddy Uses

Decorating By Charmed Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm by cakesdivine

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 11

I was watching cake boss and saw they were using these dark brown round boards. What are they made of? are they wood or particle boards? also I have seen they use chocolate fudge icing that looks so smooth, I wonder if they buy it or they make it in their shop. Do they make their own buttercream or use ready made because I saw they had 50 lb boxes of Alpine shortening in one of their episodes.

10 replies
MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 11

I believe they make their own buttercream. Could the bords you're talking about be masonite boards?

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 11

I've seen some episodes where they are taking icing out of Brill brand buckets. I know Brill makes chocolate buttercream. As for the boards I thought they may be masonite too.

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 11

khoudek, I went to your website and saw the anniversary cake (the couple one). I got EMOTIONAL! I love that one!

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 11

ok - I wish I had an exact answer for you - I took a few classes at the shop awhile back & they had some of the buttercream in a huge bakery size mixing bowl- so i'm guessing they make it (should've asked icon_rolleyes.gif ). As for the fudge - i'm not sure, but it is DELISH!! The cakes were already made for us, so didn't see it.
You may be able to send an e-mail through their bakery site - you may get an answer as to whether it is bought or not.
I know it's not a clear answer but HTH....

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 11

Brill does make a surprisingly good fudge frosting. It's what we used at Publix. I don't care for the Brill BC or Cream Cheese frostings, though.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 11

jolenelo, Thank you!

Charmed Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:41am
post #8 of 11

Anyone has a good fudge frosting recipe? icon_biggrin.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:07am
post #9 of 11

I use this recipe from Joy of baking, but I also add 1-2 tbsp of strong brewed coffee and sometimes I enhance it with a good dollop of dulce de leche - that is my most requested filling/frosting

Chocolate Fudge Frosting:

4 ounces (120 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped

2/3 cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/3 cups (160 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Charmed Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 11

thank you all for your help and replies thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 11

Don't watch the show, can't stand it (the first two episodes were enough for me to never watch again)...But his prices are very high, and he is using BRILL?? like a grocery store? I can understand having to go with a premade buttercream due to the volume he does, BUT, there are better quality buttercreams on the market as opposed to Brill. The only Brill product I ever liked was their Coconut Caramel Nut icing used for German Chocolate Cakes. That is good, but the other stuff is just yuck and super cheap. Dixie's is amazing if you have to go the premade route.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%