Coloring Mmf Making Me Nuts

Decorating By 3LittleBeesCookies Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 7:34am by 3LittleBeesCookies

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

Is there a trick to coloring MMF? I always have problems with it tearing when I roll it out after coloring it to cover my cakes. I've tried over and over again and still can't get it right. It seems as if the coloring thins it out. I'm using Wilton gel colors. Should I use a different brand or maybe candy colors? Any advice would be super helpful!

7 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #2 of 8

do you knead the color in after you have made it or while you are making it?

If you colour the melted marshmallows while you are making it and then knead in the icing sugar you can control how firm you need it by how much icing sugar you knead in and therefore less problems

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:22am
post #3 of 8

At what stage does it tear - while rolling it out or when you move it to the cake? if it's to dry that might cause tearing - add more fat. If it tears when you transfer it to the cake - use a piece of vinyl and move the whole vinyl and flip it over the cake - or roll it up on your rolling pin and roll it out over your cake.HTH

As for coloring - easiset to color before you add the PS. Otherwise color a small piece that you then blend with the larger piece of MMF

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 8

I had been kneading color in after the fondant is done because I haven't needed to make an entire batch one color. I can try this technique when I need just one color, though. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

At what stage does it tear - while rolling it out or when you move it to the cake? if it's to dry that might cause tearing - add more fat. If it tears when you transfer it to the cake - use a piece of vinyl and move the whole vinyl and flip it over the cake - or roll it up on your rolling pin and roll it out over your cake.HTH

As for coloring - easiset to color before you add the PS. Otherwise color a small piece that you then blend with the larger piece of MMF

Thank you for the tips! It usually tears when I roll it out before applying it to the cake. I've tossed so many batches of MMF in frustration. I'll keep trying. thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 8

I usually pour about 2/3 of my sugar in, then mix, then color. Because the color changes the texture so much, I'm able to adjust my sugar this way. I find that I put less sugar into NNF that requires more color. Hope that makes sense!

If you already have it mixed though...I would add more shortening until it becomes pliable again. Don't be surprised, sometimes it takes a good bit of shortening before it's workable again.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 8

Definitely use candy colors! They will make a world of difference.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:34am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS

Definitely use candy colors! They will make a world of difference.

Thanks. I have some, so I'll give this a shot, also. Hopefully, I will find a technique from the great ones suggested that will work good for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%