Fondant Bows!

Decorating By LilyBlossom Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm by Bettycrockermommy

LilyBlossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilyBlossom Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 17

I have tried many many times to make a bow out of fondant, however, I can't seem to keep the shape of the fondant after refrigerating it. Any comments or suggestions as to what I should do?

16 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 17

Try mixing some tylose with the fondant, it stiffens it up alot faster!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 17

I think that part of your problem may be that you are putting your bow in the refrigerator. That will soften your fondant.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 17

Curious...why are you refrigerating it?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #5 of 17

Refrigeration is NOT friendly to fondant/gumpaste pieces. Did you add tylose to the fondant before making the bow? Just regular fondant will not usually dry firm enough to hold - even without putting it in the frig.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:33am
post #6 of 17

i put little balls of surran wrap inside the bows to hold their shape until firm and have never had a problem. i was under the assumption that fondant and refridgeration are a no no? if you don't have tylose i've used half gumpaste/half fondant

LilyBlossom Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:34am
post #7 of 17

Where can I find tylose? (aside from ordering it online) I heard I can use a bit of Gumtex?

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 17

Is it safe to say that you should not use a cake filling that needs to be refrigerated if you're going to put fondant over the cake?

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #9 of 17

I've put cakes with bows on them in the fridge, and had no problems...they were made with 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I've never had any problems putting cakes w fondant in the fridge (and they are always very moist...they haven't dried out), so am still confused about why it is such a no-no (even after reading all the threads about it!!).

LilyBlossom Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoesMum

I've put cakes with bows on them in the fridge, and had no problems...they were made with 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I've never had any problems putting cakes w fondant in the fridge (and they are always very moist...they haven't dried out), so am still confused about why it is such a no-no (even after reading all the threads about it!!).

I agree with you, I've only had a problem with the bows. aside from the bows, every other little thing that I've made with fondant has come out fine and as kept it's shape.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:13am
post #11 of 17

I'm with ZoesMum, I have no problem refrigerating fondant cakes with bows. My bows are 100% MMF - no tylose added. I've done it many times now and I keep waiting for disaster, but nothing ever happens. Just a note though.... Before you refrigerate a bow, it must hold it's shape. It must be dry and firm. They should be made in advance of the cake and left to dry in proper conditions, so you're not tempted to put it on the cake too early. I fridge all my cakes - I take no chances with fillings - don't be scared to try it on a trial cake and see how your fondant responds to your fridge and your environment. If it works out well, you'll be so pleased to be able to offer any cake with any filling. Good luck!

ZoesMum Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #12 of 17

You are right DetailsByDawn...I always let it dry for a couple of days out in the open before hand...forgot about that part!!

DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #13 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif

(Off topic - I love your name ZoesMum - I'm Zoe's Mom too!!)

ZoesMum Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #14 of 17

Ha!! Funny!! Great name huh? I guess I should technically be changing mine, since I now am Zoe and Cole's Mum, but hey...I'll always be Zoe's Mum!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #15 of 17

Maybe it depends on the refrigerator! icon_smile.gif I don't use anything that requires refrigeration - that way there are never any worries about it setting out after the client takes it.

DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoesMum

Ha!! Funny!! Great name huh? I guess I should technically be changing mine, since I now am Zoe and Cole's Mum, but hey...I'll always be Zoe's Mum!!

Too funny - My son is Nicholas - if you look it up, they have the same meaning - Cole is short for Nicholas. I totally hijacked this thread! Nice to meet you!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Before you refrigerate a bow, it must hold it's shape. It must be dry and firm. They should be made in advance of the cake and left to dry in proper conditions, so you're not tempted to put it on the cake too early.

I think that this is the key. The bow needs to be dry first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%