Question Making Candy Gems

Sugar Work By daisy81382 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 4:52am by Kitchen_Witch

daisy81382 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy81382 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a baby shower cake and they have requested sparkle. My idea was to put sugar gems on the cake for bling. So I'm getting ready to try for the first time making candy gems. I just want to use regular sugar instead of isomalt for now. I intend to color and flavor them so they do not need to be perfectly clear. I only have 1 small gem mold right now because I wanted to see how they turned out before I buy more molds.
My question is, I will obviously need to let the sugar set in the mold to get hard before popping it out. If I have leftover sugar mixture can I just heat it up and pour it in the mold or will heating it back up mess things up?

Also, I know that putting royal icing decorations on buttercream makes them 'melt'. Does the same thing happen with melted sugar gems/decorations?

Thanks for any help you can give me icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #2 of 2

I don't have answers for all your questions, but I do know from researching the same topic that you can't re-melt sugar. Isomalt can be re-melted though. From what I understand the sugar will not melt the same as it did the first time.

I'm also fairly sure the suger/isomalt gems will not melt on buttercream. The gems do tend to get sticky when exposed to moisture though, so you want to store them in a low moisture environment.

Hope that helps...I'm doing looking into making my first isomalt gems too so I've picked up a little bit of information. I am in no way an expert though. :}

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%