Can This Be Done ...

Decorating By catin Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm by catin

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 12

Turning MMF into regular Fondant by incorporating Gelatin into it?

11 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 12

Then it wouldn't be MMF! icon_wink.gif (just wondering why you would want to put gelatin in it?) I believe that MFF is one that is made with the gelatin.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 12

Considering marshmallows are made with gelatin, why would you want to add gelatin?

Using marshmallows just bypasses the swelling/blooming and heating and combining of the gelatin with the initial ingredients for a fondant that won't have those pesky gelatin bits that can sometimes wind up when making it the traditional way.

Same ingredients, different process...

catin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 12

Oh I'm so sorry , I don't know what I was thinking . I was wondering on how to turn MMF into traditonal Fondant .

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 12

MMF is a traditional fondant, just homemade not purchased. It works and does anything the fondant that is already made does. Is there a reason for what you are looking for? (do you think it won't perform in a certain situation?)

all4cake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 12

what Loucinda said...MMF is traditional fondant.

traditionally made (maybe not so traditional to those who make it without the use of gelatin) fondant is made with gelatin, glucose, glycerine, shortening(or other fat) and sugar...blooming/heating/incorporating the gelatin with the other ingredients.

mmf is made with marshmallows which are essentially made with gelatin and glucose (gelatin that has been bloomed then whipped while pouring heated sugar syrup (could be considered glucose) over it and whipped until fluffy then allowed to set up) and shortening and sugar

The only thing that is really different is the degree of difficulty in making it...a couple of steps have been removed...not the ingredients...

catin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks ,

It's not that i dont like working with MMF , its that i was trying to find a diffrent kind of fondant that i could try .

To correct myself yet again .. its not gelatin that i wanted to ask it was glycerine .

I'm so sorry , I guess i haven't had enough coffee this morning ...LOL!!

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 12

icon_smile.gif I know how you feel!! I need a few cups to jump start my brain too!! icon_wink.gif

I know a lot of folks on here like the MFF (Michelle Fosters Fondant) You may want to try that version out. I know it uses glycerine.

all4cake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 12

suuuuuuuuuure...you could add a bit of glycerine to it...to aid in pliability...suuuuuure can.

maybe a tablespoon added with your liquid (you might consider decreasing your water by the same amount...you can more easily incorporate additional water if needed after the MMF is done, I'd think)...

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 12

If you want to try a different kind of fondant, try making Michele Foster's Fondant. Here is the link to the recipe. She is always willing to help you with any issues you have with the fondant.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 12

I recently started making Michele Foster's recipe and it's fantastic. Its easy and tastes great. I did add an extra bit of glycerin to my second try because the first didn't have enough elasticity.

catin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much ,

I will definately try Michelle's recipe out . icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%