Question??? Let There Be Light Theme

Decorating By tam35 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm by shapeacake

tam35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tam35 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:45am
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for the Birthday Wish for foster children...we have to set up a table at an event coming up. I will add the details and if anyone has any ideals please post. It's gonna be round(?) - 3 tier - we talked about white with different colored polka dots to match the cards they had printed. They wanna add the logo on it also. The theme of the occasion is let there be light--so I wanted to add lights on it somewhere. I have plenty of time to work on it...I just want it to be special and thought I would see what kinda ideals everyone has on here. I have learned everything from the wonderful members on here. Thanks so much everyone.

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:25am
post #2 of 8

i think the easiest way to add light is to use glass vases between the tiers, with a string of fairy lights (?) inside.
xx

shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 8

The vases sound like a good idea. I also saw this online, and I thought it looked like a really fun cake - it even has polka dots too. Maybe you could just add some colored LEDs (image at: http://ajsmoonlightbakery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1920s-new-years-eve-birthday-cake-lights.jpg and the full site with the image is http://ajsmoonlightbakery.net/blog/2009/01/ ).

Have fun and good luck!

tam35 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much ...that cake looks great! What types of lights do I need to purchase? Sorry for so many questions ...just new to cake decorating and I don't wanna get the wrong ones.

The glass vases are a great ideal also.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 8

If you don't want to do the lights I have an idea.

You know how some people will have the bottom tier a dark color, and each tier going up is a shade lighter? Why don't you try that, and then as a topper, you could make a light bulb out of gumpaste or even blown sugar? It could appear as if the light from the bulb is illuminating the cake.

Just a thought.

shapeacake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 8

A friend suggested looking up "LED throwies". They involve attaching a 10mm diffused LED (you can google search for this and click on the "shopping" link up top to find colors you want) to a lithium battery. See http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/02/how_to_make_led_throwies.html. I don't think that you'd need the magnet, as you won't be throwing them anywhere. Sorry I can't be of more help ... I've never done it myself, but I'll let you know if I come up with other thoughts.

Kate

tam35 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 8

The throwies are a great ideal...also I wanted to ask if you always use something made for decorating cakes or just make sure it's safe to use. I am new to all this and I have so much to learn. Thanks again everyone!

shapeacake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 8

My impression is that you probably won't find these lights specifically for decorating cakes. I could be completely wrong about that. As I've said, I've never used lights like this on a cake ... just passing on my ideas. Maybe somebody else who has more experience with lighted cakes can chime in on this one? Good luck!

Kate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%