Help Please! Stacked Boxes Cake & Gumpaste

Decorating By blessedist Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm by indydebi

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all!

I have to make this cake and they just told me about it yesterday around this time. Of course, I don't have a cake supply store. The nearest store is in the next state, so, I have to go with Wilton products.....I haven't made a cake like this before and I'm having a dunce.gif moment! My family WILL NOT eat fondant so could I use gumpaste for stability and esthetics? It's going to get peeled off anyway, so that's why I don't think the gumpaste vs. fondant matters, but gumpaste will become harder right (I can't find tylose to add to fondant, that's why I was going to use gumpaste)?

I have already purchased the tubs of Wilton gumpaste that you add water to (it's cheaper than Satin Ice+ shipping with Michaels coupons). I am thinking I will need maybe 6-8 tubs to be safe? I have the Sugar Shack DVD's and I was going to use the panel method for the cake, or can I use the regular laying of fondant method using gumpaste? This is the cake www.elegantcheesecakes.com/ECC_WeddingGallery_4_5.asp (the 1 on 2nd row with big blue bow). Is my thinking correct on this? In the DVD, Sharon let the panels dry for a few days....any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also, sizing will be 12,10,8,6 inch squares. Do I need intervals of 2" or 4" to achieve a similar look?

10 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 11

Gumpaste will get hard as a rock!! I would only use fondant!!! The fondant can also be peeled away and you can make it with marshmallows, a little crisco, dab of water and powdered sugar. A lot cheaper too than gumpaste!!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 11

I agree with Malene...gumpaste will be too hard to cut, it will crack, and it will be a disaster. Go with fondant.

blessedist Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for responding....so I will get the fondant and use the regular method of "fondanting" a cake, so do I need to add anything to the fondant to make it firmer? I was going to buy the Wiltons in the box because I have a coupon for 40% off Wilton entire purchase(Hobby Lobby)? Can you find tylose in regular stores like Walmart? I can't find any and I know that will firm the fondant right?

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 11

Are you just using the fondant to cover the cake? If so just use straight fondant. I only add tylose or gumpaste to fondant if I am making a figure/flowers etc. I would also suggest making the fondant. My family doesnt like fondant but I made some for a cake and though some still didnt like it alot said it was better tasting them the wilton. Plus it is a lot cheaper.

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 11

Unfortunately all WalMarts I've been to don't carry Tylose Powder. I get Tylose from Jester's (LusterDust.com) - it's only $3.49 and they ship same day. ($6 shipping) http://www.lusterdust.com/typo55grbyck.html

HTH
Cheley

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 11

Wilton's form of tylose is gum-tex, it is a hardening agent. As was said you only need to add it when you need decorations to dry hard or keep a shape. On that cake the only thing I'd use gumpaste or fondant/gumtex would be for the bow. I also use the premade gumpaste from wilton, I don't bother with the mix.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 11

From the picture, that cakes looks like it's covered with fondant and the lid just an overlay of fondant.
It would be more difficult to make the individual fondant panels. You have to make them ahead of time to allow time for them to dry. If that's the look you're going for, the fondant must be mixed with tylose in order for it to harden enough. You can also use Wilton gumtex which can be found @ WalMart. If you have Sharon's boxes & bows dvd, you can see exactly how a paneled box cake is made. I personally haven't made one, but I've made a buttercream square cake with a paneled lid.
Does the customer want buttercream or fondant? You could probably achieve a similar look if you iced the cake in buttercream and made a fondant overlay lid.
At any rate, I would not use Wilton fondant! I think that it tastes absolutely horrible!! Could you possibly make your own? There's lots of recipes here for marshmallow fondant. Michelle Foster's fondant is very tasty and easy to work with if you don't have the time to order some.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 11

Please don't buy the Wilton fondant!!! In my opinion it's the worst tasting stuff around. I feel it also dries fast and is slightly difficult to work with. The last thing you would want to do is add anything to it that would make it dry even faster!!!!
I'm with Mindy, make it yourself, you will be proud and glad you did!!

blessedist Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks you guys!! I don't know how cakers survive without you all and this site period!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

Please don't buy the Wilton fondant!!! In my opinion it's the worst tasting stuff around.

I agree totally with this ... however, if you said your family doesn't eat fondant at all, and if you are SURE they are just going to peel it off and trash it anyway, then you might as well go for what's convenient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%