Non Refrigerated French Vanilla Filling

Baking By summersusu Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm by tab_stout

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 8

Anybody have a non refrigerated french vanilla filling recipe?
Thanks

7 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8

This was from another thread last week, and it sounds like what you're looking for. You could add French Vanilla pudding mix:

I make a Bettercreme mousse and I NEVER add dairy/perishable ingredients to it. I want to retain that shelf life.

There's no need to add that milk. It "ruins" the shelf stability.

Just take the pudding mix and add hot water to it, mixing with a fork until it's the consistency of runny paste--sorry, for the generality, but that's what works and it can vary according to the flavor of pudding that you make.

Whip the Bettercreme to soft peaks--however much you need. I find that 1 box of pudding mix will flavor up to 2 cups of Bettercreme, beaten. The stuff basically doubles in volume when you beat it.

Take a few TBSPS of the beaten Bettercreme and fold it into the "runny paste" pudding and then add that to the rest of the beaten Bettercreme. I usually beat this mixture for another 30 seconds, or so, to incorporate.

At this point, if necessary, you can loosen up the mixture by adding in some extra liquid Bettercreme. Don't beat it with the mixer if you need to do this--just gently blend it with a spoon or fork. You can also add extracts, compounds, jams, preserves, or flavorings at this point, taking care to be sure that your additions don't create something that has to be refrigerated.

I make all kinds of flavors by playing with various pudding and dry mousse mixes, but I never mix in any dairy products.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 8

Just what JGMB said. icon_smile.gif

Here's ShirleyW's recipe for faux bavarian creme which is what JGMB desribed:
(Uses Pastry Pride but Rich's Bettercreme is even better.)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2396/bavarian-cream-filling

HTH

summersusu Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 8

I am in NC, do you know where I can find Pastry Pride or Rich's?

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

I would love to know where to buy Rich's or Pastry pride. I live in Canada, and went down to Bellingham Wa, and the surrounding areas Costco's and no one has heard of it.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 8

I have been reading on other websites, anything I can find about Pastry Pride. I am reading that it needs to be refrigerated or it will soften, separate and turn the cake mushy? Is that correct? I have used it in between the layers as a filling and no one has complained... Are my customers being 'nice' and not telling me, or is this untrue. I often do tiered cakes, and my cakes are often out for a day before delivered.

summersusu Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 8

Since I can not seem to find either bettercream or PP, can I just mix the pudding mix with water and then into my BC recipe or will that be too sweet?

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 8

Summersusu, I don't know if you have it in your state, but the only place I can find Bettercreme around here is at GFS. Hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%