Wasc Cake Help Please!

Baking By ale86 Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm by ale86

ale86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ale86 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 4

I have so many questions icon_sad.gif

I'm getting married in July and my aunt is making my wedding cake since I'm not a baker. She's never made a wedding cake before but she does have a lot of experience baking and we're looking all over the web for help. I found 2 WASC recipes on CC that I'd really like to try but would a WASC cake taste good with pecans?

My boyfriend is really set on having pecans in our wedding cake but how can the WASC cake be modified to use pecans? Would the mix have to be pecan flavored or would the filling or icing be pecan flavored? Also, what kind of filling would taste best with this kind of cake? And what kind of icing?

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:59am
post #2 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, ale86. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

A WASC cake can be made with any cake mix - and it just so happens that there are pecan cake mixes available. However, instead of using almond extract substitute pecan or pecan and butter. You could also add crushed or chopped pecans to the cake mix.

Additionally, not all the cake tiers have to be pecan (you can mix and match the cake & fillings to appeal to the majority of the guests).

What kind of icing to use depends on what type of frosting your aunt finds easiest to work with. A lot of CC members prefer a crusting b/c because they can smooth it using the Melvira Method (included in the above link) while others prefer a non-crusting meringue b/c (which uses the hot spatula smoothing method).

As I previously mentioned, you can mix and match the cake and fillings to suit your tastes - there are no wrong pairings if it's something you enjoy. However, WASC with either raspberry or strawberry sleeved pastry fillings are popular (tastes great and doesn't require refrigeration).

HTH

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:26am
post #3 of 4

WASC works great with just about any flavor. I agree with JanH and suggest you make each tier a different flavor combination, so that your guests can choose whether to have cake with nuts or not.

I have some pecan-inspired flavor ideas for you:
(1)Have you ever had Pralines? Brown sugar and pecans!
(2)Pecans would be great with caramel and chocolate, like Turtles chocolates.
(3)My aunt used to make Divinity candy with pecans and maraschino cherries.

Have you seen this? Lots of ideas for you!
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do! icon_smile.gif

ale86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ale86 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 4

oh my gosh! thanks so much!! this info is really helpful! i hadn't thought about making each layer a different flavor but that makes a lot of sense, maybe i'll have my aunt make one of the smaller layers or even just our top layer with pecans in case anyone is allergic or doesn't care for nuts and the rest white, yellow or chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%