Would You?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 11

Good Morning... I need some expert opinions and also opinions from people who may have been there.

I have a friend/aquaintance that is a wedding coordinator. I sometimes help her with weddings. I helped her yesterday and she said a few things that really hurt my feelings about cakes.
We were talking about my cakes and she said well they are good but you really need to work on the lumps on your fondant. I just looked at her because I do not cover cakes with fondant. My cakes all but a purse cake and a dummy cake have been buttercream. My customers do not like fondant. I told her this and she said well yeah they are and they are to lumpy. I kind of took it as a compliment since she thinks my buttercream is good enough to be mistaken for fondant.

The cake was delivered for the wedding and it was a cupcake tower. The cupcakes looked good but the top cutting cake was terrible. There were huge crumbs in it was not smooth at all and the decorations were falling off. I did say that the cake wasnt very good and she agreed with me, but then proceeded to say well for you it is easy to make a cake cause you use a box mix. Well sometimes I use a box mix and sometimes I enhance it depends on what my customer wants. She also said well anyone can decorate a cake just slap some icing on it.

She really hurt my feelings and i intend on telling her so today. I said friend/aquaintance cause she really only calls me when she needs a favor so that in my opinion isnt a friend. Also a friend would support you and not cut you down like she seem to do.

I must be doing something right cause I have alot of repeat customers (friends). I do not advertise at all and only bake for friends and family but I do intend to get licensed as soon as I can find a licensed kitchen to work from and I would hate for her to cut me down in the industry because she only sees what she thinks are my flaws.

I was her first bride (when she started her business) and gave her a chance when no one else would and it really ticks me off that she is so negative.

I do not have alot of my photos loaded on here I lost alot on another laptop I have but I have them on my blog if anyone would like to critque me. I would love critisim from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Thanks sorry so long!

My blog is sweets-n-more.blogspot.com

10 replies
joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 11

Your cakes are beautiful. Some people just can't fell good about themselves unless they're bringing someone else down. Sad, really. Tell her to stuff it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 11

"The cake was delivered for the wedding and it was a cupcake tower. The cupcakes looked good but the top cutting cake was terrible. There were huge crumbs in it was not smooth at all and the decorations were falling off. I did say that the cake wasnt very good..."

It does hurt when you help someone and they don't appreciate it. The above statement clearly shows that you are aware of the quality of your work and her pointing out things that are obvious to you isn't necessary.

Why does she still call on you if she feels you don't produce quality work? Are you providing them free? Your work is no less reflective on her as a planner than it is on you as a decorator and vice versa.

We ALL need improvement. No cake is without flaws (although, those flaws may not be known to anyone but the decorator). If you have hopes of expanding, providing work like you stated above can only hurt the situation. (If the above display was so bad, why did you choose to set it up?)

ETA: Is it possible that she's only trying to motivate you to improve so that ya'll can 'grow' together? Negative words hurt but they do make us reflect and after the hurt subsides (sometimes) we can see what they were talking about.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 11

I agree - she has issues. icon_confused.gif I find it really interesting that a person who doesn't even decorate cakes can comment on how "easy" it is... Sounds like you have other customers, so you really don't need her.

Or if you want to continue the relationship, then I think you have to have a very frank talk - what have you got to lose!? Right now, it seems as though she feels she can treat you like that because she gave you a step up at one time. You have to continue on a path of mutual respect or it won't work anyway. icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 11

I think your cakes are lovely. Lumps? HA! Your cakes look covered in fondant. Obviously she's unappreciative, and I agree, not much of a friend at all.

My thoughts: She's either jealous, or trying to get you to cut your price so she can charge more and pocket some money. Wedding coordinators do charge a profit/fee on cakes and anyone who says they don't is a liar. It's like a retail store, they don't sell for what they purchase it for.

Sorry she's being so ignorant. Some people are just like this when they get greedy. I say cut ties and continue on with your beautiful cakes.

mindy1204 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 11

I should clarify that I did not make the cake for the wedding. I helped her coordinate the wedding. I am not licensed therefore can not make cakes for weddings and such. I make cakes for friends and family only. We were talking about cakes and such and this came up.

The cake was delivered and sorry it was crap. Not only that but it was delivered during cocktail hour, as requested by the bride, but by 2 teenagers in totally unappropriate attire. Shorts and tanks and the boy you could see his red boxer shorts.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 11

Surround yourself by positive people...and when they make remarks you will be able to take them to heart. Sometimes you might still be a little disappointed to hear what they have to say but, you will never question their intentions.
Those kind of critics will help you grow as a decorator. And of course...practice.
Have fun!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 11

"oooooooooooh, I seeeeeeeeeee", said the blind man. I misunderstood. I'm sorry.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 11

I would just let her know that while you were certain she didn't intend to offend you, she did. and that if she truly feels that your work is substandard, then she should persue other decorators in the future.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

I would just let her know that while you were certain she didn't intend to offend you, she did. and that if she truly feels that your work is substandard, then she should persue other decorators in the future.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

mindy1204 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 11

I did send her an email and she did apoligize and said she didnt realize she upset me. This isnt the first time she has said something that upset me, she is one of those people that doesnt think before she speaks but this time it just hit me wrong about my cakes.

She has never seen one in person and has never tasted one so I was offended how she could really even comment.

Anyway ladies thanks for letting me vent I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%