Please Help!!!!!

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 12:51am by noahsmummy

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 13

I am maaking a cake that is due tonight and I put the fondant on and the edges are all cracked!!! I do not know what to do...please help. The fondant is not too thin so I am so confused it;s not funny....Please tell me there is a way to fix my problem...Any help or advicew would be greatly apprectiated

12 replies
emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 13

If they are small cracks, sometimes rubbing a little shortening on them helps buff them out. Other than that, camouflage is the key. Take some extra buttercream and pipe a design down it, or use exra decorations to place over the cracks. Good luck!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 13

The same thing happened to me this morning. I used a small paint brush moistened with water to smooth the cracks. It didn't fix it completely but it did look a lot better. Thankfully I didn't have to camoflage. If that doesn't work, emlashlee's suggestion of camoflage is the best way to go.

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 13

thanks you guys but why did it crack? last time it cacked everyone said the fondant was on too thin, but I made sure that it was the correct thickness...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 13

Sounds like it was too dry.

What brand/type of fondant was it??

If you attach the top and top edges first, then the fondant hanging on the sides won't drag as much on that top edge. Applying it that way can help minimize cracks, too.

HTH
Rae

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 13

I notice that when I cover cakes with colored Satin Ice, unless I knead quite a bit of Crisco in it, it cracks badly. I don't have that problem with the white. So I would say it is too dry, and next time, work some Crisco into it, see how that works- HTH

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 13

sorry to jump onto the thread, but i have the same problem with my coloured fondant. what is crisco? i have only heard of it on CC. is it available in the U.K? if not what could i use in its place? i wish we had some of the american products available here, like viva!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 13

i find that fondant responds to the weather... if its really muggy it goes all sticky and needs extra p.s if its hot and dry then it will dry out super fast.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 13

Crisco is just a brand name of a solid vegetable shortening.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:06am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katies_cakes

sorry to jump onto the thread, but i have the same problem with my coloured fondant. what is crisco? i have only heard of it on CC. is it available in the U.K? if not what could i use in its place? i wish we had some of the american products available here, like viva!

Crisco is white vegetable shortening. It's called Trex in the UK.

Rae

noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katies_cakes

lol, im in aus, and i second that.. also the products like meringue power, shortening, clear vanilla, butter extract, wilton colours, those pudding mixes everyone adds in to recipe.. there box cake mixes.. oh i could go on and on.

those in america, just be aware that i am incredibly jealous of the supplies you have readily avail.!!!! icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #12 of 13

Oh, I hear you!

Australia is soooooo strict about importing food items from other countries. Imported foods have to be quarantined for quite awhile--some of these things would be worthless once they were set free!

People can't even bring fondant or gum paste in our suitcases without worrying that customs will confiscate it.

I wish I had a better solution for you...............
Sorry!
Rae

noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #13 of 13

lol thats ok, i just do the best with subs like copha.. which isnt exactly shortening.. but sort of is.. if that makes sense? haha. we do have some things available through specialty cake shops, but they are just so expensive! like $15 for a tiny pot of powdered colour... no way am i paying that!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%