Lounge By kellertur Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:52am by kellertur

barbbouk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbbouk Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:29pm
post #61 of 121

costumeczar, you can PM me and I'll tell. I have nothing to lose icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #62 of 121

For those that feel the need to keep in contact with those that are no longer here, there have been a couple of folks who have kept in touch - go through those lines.

And again, the site is owned and paid for by Jackie and Heath. It is not a democracy. To me, it doesn't matter who, how or why - if they were banned - there was a good reason for it. Period.

JanH - thank you for all you do - for those of us who have owned and maintained a forum, we know having folks help out like you are what makes the whole thing possible! thumbs_up.gif

patriots83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriots83 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #63 of 121

Loucinda as Americans it would be a sad day in this country if we weren't allowed to question anything. We're fortunate to live in a country where we can question authority.

We may not always agree with it, but please don't try to diminish that right. If done in a respectful way, as this has been, it's a healthy thing.

Everyone should really exchange e-mails privately with who you want to keep in contact with.

Most of the members that were banned over the years are back they just don't identify themselves.

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #64 of 121

IF this were a freely owned site, yes, that would be the case. It is not, it is owned and maintained by Jackie ane Heath. They have the right to decide who, how and what is discussed on THEIR FORUM. For those who do not follow the rules that Jackie and Heath set forth (and you agree to when you join this site) they are more than welcome to go and start their own site and do as they choose with it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's "rights"....it has to do with following the rules that you agree to. You choose not to abide, you pay the consequences.

patriots83 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #65 of 121

Nobody is disputing the fact that the owners of ANY site have the right to run it as they please.

When you get this many people together expect a few to ask questions, it's just the nature of the beast.

I don't think we should tell people they shouldn't ask those questions. That's how we grow. ;0)

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #66 of 121

True, just don't whine/complain/gripe when you don't get the answer that you want. icon_wink.gif

I think they have said all that needs to be said on the subject, but there are some who refuse to accept it.

(And yes, I know many members that have been banned in the past are back under different names.....) I have been here for a very long time - and have seen many folks come and go.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #67 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

True, just don't whine/complain/gripe when you don't get the answer that you want. icon_wink.gif

I agree, Jackie and Heath must be exercising the "no hand holding puppies and rainbows" (or however it goes) thing. But that's just a guess, I really don't know.I would think if one gets a PM saying to read the thread about board decorum....well "there's your sign....you might be crossing the line...That was probably the "puppies and hand holding" route but if it doesn't work, well....They are the supreme leaders of this board they pay for, manage and we have to abide by their rules. For FREE we get lots of information, more than I ever imagined (wonder how much $ they have saved me), get to "know" some great folks, have great laughs (will never forget the poster who sent their kids to school with PB and pie filling on a hot dog bun) but the rule is WE FOLLOW THEIR RULES, not our own and if we choose the action, we choose the consquences.

Just my opinion...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #68 of 121

This is site is what it is, cause of the people on here, not just cause of the people who own it. And as I recall if we click Global Sugar Art, they get a percentage of that order. Hence, why we can't mention other cake supply sites. It IS NOT only about who own's this site. It's also about who is on here, cause without us logging on, there would be no site. Just like the magazine will be succes cause of the people who BUY it, not just cause of the people who own it. And the FREE information you get is contributed by members, just like the magazine articles and pictures. No one is paid for this stuff. WE as members give it freely. Cause WE CARE about what we do. I love how everyone just thinks so freely for themselves. And there is no personal attacks, no ugliness, just stating the obvious. And if this is my last post, well I guess we all know why.

God Bless the U.S.A.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #69 of 121
Quote:

I think they have said all that needs to be said on the subject

It is my hope that you will follow suit, but hey- a few more of these kinds of posts just might make you a moderator yet. thumbs_up.gif

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:34pm
post #70 of 121
Quote:
Quote:

This is site is what it is, cause of the people on here, not just cause of the people who own it.

This is absolutely true, it takes a combination of the two to make this place special.

Quote:
Quote:

And as I recall if we click Global Sugar Art, they get a percentage of that order. Hence, why we can't mention other cake supply sites.

While it is true that Global Sugar Art helps to keep this site freely available, it is completely untrue that other vendors are banned because of this relationship. The only vendors that are blocked on CC are vendors that have spammed this forum at some point.

Quote:
Quote:

I love how everyone just thinks so freely for themselves. And there is no personal attacks, no ugliness, just stating the obvious.

I agree that it is wonderful when people do share freely, but to suggest that there are no personal attacks or ugliness is just plain wrong.

-----

No matter what choices we make as moderators, someone will be unhappy with our decisions. All we can do is use our best judgment to decide who is participating in the community in a way consistent with our rules and goals, and who is serving their own agenda in conflict with the mission of cake central.

It is never a pleasant thing for us to ban anyone, we want everyone to be able to enjoy cake central. But we cannot abide members who ruin the experience for others, or those to actively belittle our admins or moderators, or the policies of this website.

Sometimes a person can be both an asset in terms of knowledge, but a liability in how they communicate it, or an undermining force in the mission of Cake Central. Sometimes the problems occur publicly, sometimes the final straw is in a personal communication between a moderator or admin and the member.

Ultimately we do not look for opportunities to ban people, losing good members does not serve to further the goals of the community, so when someone does get banned, it is a sad day for us as well.

JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #71 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

This is site is what it is, cause of the people on here, not just cause of the people who own it. And as I recall if we click , they get a percentage of that order. Hence, why we can't mention other cake supply sites. It IS NOT only about who own's this site. It's also about who is on here, cause without us logging on, there would be no site. Just like the magazine will be succes cause of the people who BUY it, not just cause of the people who own it. And the FREE information you get is contributed by members, just like the magazine articles and pictures. No one is paid for this stuff. WE as members give it freely. Cause WE CARE about what we do. I love how everyone just thinks so freely for themselves. And there is no personal attacks, no ugliness, just stating the obvious. And if this is my last post, well I guess we all know why.

God Bless the U.S.A.

LaBella, I understand what you are saying but the reality is they GET to make the rules. I feel there is a lot of people who believe their site would be even better without all the drama. That there are lots of people with great information that post their opinions with respect but there are some that haven't been lately. I'll tell you I haven't learned one thing from any of the past confrontational postings but I've learned a lot from the constructive criticism/opinion postings.

This is their baby, their business. It behooves them to have us here because we are a large group who will order the mag and buy from GSA but I wonder if they feel it would be an even bigger active group without drama and meaness. I think it would. Yes, CC needs it's members to be successful BUT there just might be more participation and members without the aforementioned drama and meaness.

Think about it like this, they get 200 new people a day (for example), 100 of them read a bunch of snarky mean posts and say "I'm not going back there that's a miserable forum" that's potential income they lose. They can lose lots of people and business because of a few confrontational mean spirited posters. I'm just hoping that the magazine doesn't become so big and takes up so much of their time that they decide to stop CC forum, because they could decide it's too much of a headache.

If posters weren't mean spirited in intent when posting but over and over people feel they are then one might need to reconsider their posting protocol. I promise nobody, professional or hobbist ever left because someone was nice to them or others.

I am not offended by your post at all. No personal attacks, no nastiness at all. You have a right to your opinion and you stated it civilly, can't ask for more than that.

I'm going to say it. I am thankful for the ban. I don't know who all was banned and I hope they come back with better posting manners but I'm very thankful not to read so much drama and I don't consider this thread drama it's discussion.

Just my 2cent and I am off to set up my DVD recorder to record Sugarshack tonite!

JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:37pm
post #72 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

Quote:

I think they have said all that needs to be said on the subject

It is my hope that you will follow suit, but hey- a few more of these kinds of posts just might make you a moderator yet. thumbs_up.gif

That was mean spirited and dramatic.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #73 of 121
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just hoping that the magazine doesn't become so big and takes up so much of their time that they decide to stop CC forum, because they could decide it's too much of a headache.

not to worry, the online community will always be the central purpose of Cake Central, the magazine is just a complimentary product. Nothing can replace the interaction of the online forum.

patriots83 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #74 of 121

This very Lounge forum invites "drama", it you guys want to keep it all about cake why have a lounge?

I lurked for 2 years so I didn't even know this place existed until I joined a couple of weeks ago (the Lounge forum doesn't show up if you're not a registered member)

When I saw the Lounge forum for the first time I thought ahhhh there's the drama everyone is speaking about.

You guys and gals really do like your drama don't ya, I mean just look how much "drama" this thread has gathered from just an innocent question.

I think people "keep bringing it up" because they're not on here every single day like some of you so it takes a day or two to realize someone's missing.

I think I'll go back to being a lurker it's much less stressful.

Have fun everyone. ;0) (don't know how to use those emoticons lol)

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #75 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

I spoke to a few of them and I am still a bit confused, but it's not my call. In recent years I've been attacked both in PM's and in threads for the things I don't eat, and yet those members are still on this site... I'm sure they have their reasons for deactivating certain members, and I guess it's between the parties involved.

Any member has the option to report any post they find objectionable.

Just hit the "report bad post" button found on the bottom of every post and it will be brought to the attention of the moderators.

You also have the ability to report any objectionable pm's or CC emails.

For objectionable pm's, contact the site administrators. For objectionable CC emails, simply follow the directions that are included with all CC emails.

HTH

Thank you Jan ~ I didn't realize you could report PM's. I appreciate the info. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #76 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots83

This very Lounge forum invites "drama", it you guys want to keep it all about cake why have a lounge?

I lurked for 2 years so I didn't even know this place existed until I joined a couple of weeks ago (the Lounge forum doesn't show up if you're not a registered member)

When I saw the Lounge forum for the first time I thought ahhhh there's the drama everyone is speaking about.

Drama has happened in every forum, not just the Lounge. I actually think more posts have been locked, or it has seemed to me, in other areas of the site than in the Lounge.

I think when it comes to the Lounge if someone doesn't want to read about someone else's life they click and move in. In the other sections when it comes to cake issues, people tend to be more vocal about their opinions. Think about the scratch vs box baking, or legal vs no legal posts, and pricing threads. These tend to have more drama than, the "Man, my mom really annoys me" posts.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #77 of 121

I think the reason so many threads about legal/non legal, pricing and the likes get so heated is because people don't like to be told how to do things as everyone has the right to think they are doing it right.

The problem when you get 1000s of people in one community is personallities get mixed and straight talking people seem to get taken the wrong way as emotion and meaning get missed in words. There are no facial expressions to be read and no tone of voice to be heard.

I agree with labellaflor about sites like this not beinga ble to exist without the knowlege and willingness of people with experience. If it became a site full of newbie cakers there would be very little advice being offered.

I have noticed over the last week that fewer threads are getting responses because people either are unable to offer an answer or just not frequenting the boards.

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #78 of 121

I just checked the unanswered posts.....nothing out of the ordinary there, IMO.

There are still plenty of talented, veteran business people on here, the ban of a few is not going to affect CC, in the long run. And even if it did become a site of all "newbies" - at least it would be fun to learn what works and what doesn't in a pleasant atmosphere. icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #79 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

I think the reason so many threads about legal/non legal, pricing and the likes get so heated is because people don't like to be told how to do things as everyone has the right to think they are doing it right.

The problem when you get 1000s of people in one community is personallities get mixed and straight talking people seem to get taken the wrong way as emotion and meaning get missed in words. There are no facial expressions to be read and no tone of voice to be heard.

I agree with labellaflor about sites like this not beinga ble to exist without the knowlege and willingness of people with experience. If it became a site full of newbie cakers there would be very little advice being offered.

I have noticed over the last week that fewer threads are getting responses because people either are unable to offer an answer or just not frequenting the boards.

If 90% of people have trouble with 3% of the people then they aren't being helpful they are being hurtful.

There have always been lots of unanswered posts since I've been here but answering a post with "here we go again" isn't an answer or "why would do something that stupid" isn't really a question. If you think people didn't expect drama from a few then why did I read this so many time "I'm getting the popcorn" etc. It certainly wasn't because they expected civil constructive critism it's because they expected the confrontation and it was entertaining to them, which I never understood. How many newbies got their heads handed to them for asking a "stupid" question. It's just wrong in my opinion.

This site will never be a site full of newbies. There are new experienced people coming all the time and the newbies become experienced over time.

But the posts that HAVE been made have been drama free, including this one for the most part....YAY!

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #80 of 121

I agree with you scrummymummy. Like I said previously, if the poster doesnt get the answer exactly like they want it is mean spirited. There is more than one way to answer a question. I remember before it was always posted for people to please use the search by the mods. Now I see 20 how much to charge posts a day. I understand there are many new people that truly need to know what to charge but if they would just use search, they would find all the info they needed to know that. If I were to post that in response to a post, I would be accused of being mean. I dont think that is being mean, its just being practical. People need to have ALL the information to know what to charge. I have seen several pricing posts that because someone tells them to make sure they can sell legally from their home, that person is attacked.

I also agree with labellaflor that without the knowledgable and experienced people on ANY board that board will become obselete.

Cecilia

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #81 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

not to worry, the online community will always be the central purpose of Cake Central, the magazine is just a complimentary product. Nothing can replace the interaction of the online forum.

Whew!!! Thank you!!! NOTHING could replace this site icon_biggrin.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #82 of 121
Quote:

There are still plenty of talented, veteran business people on here, the ban of a few is not going to affect CC, in the long run. And even if it did become a site of all "newbies" - at least it would be fun to learn what works and what doesn't in a pleasant atmosphere. icon_smile.gif

So unaswered posted that heve been viewed and remain unaswered are pretty standard stuff icon_surprised.gif If the people that viewed them were interested in the first place to take a look then they could at least say 'sorry I have no advice' or 'try doing a google search' usually a question can be answered somehow.

I never said the banning of a few would be the down fall of CC but mearly pointed out that a site that offeres advice to people needs experienced partisipents to keep it going, not just the people supporting it with teh financial implications of it. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #83 of 121
Quote:

So your saying a site with all newbies would be a great success.

Isn't that the blind leading the blind? Not to mention how many times I have read, from you included, how we should all give help, cause we have the expierence. How else are people going to learn but from those that know?

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #84 of 121

I have been here since 2005 - and CC has always been a wealth of info (and that was LONG before any of the banned folks were even members) It is always changing.....new folks come, some leave....the one basic static thing is that folks on here have (and hopefully) will always generously share what they know, and most of them do it constructively. THAT is what makes CC what it is. This week I have seen changes that IMO are for the better - the way it should be.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #85 of 121

None of that asnwered my question.

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #86 of 121

LaBellaFlor - I have always tried to answer any post that I actually have experience in. I do not ever pretend to have the knowledge that indy, tonedna, sugarshack (to name a few) have. But, if I see a post that I may be able to help someone with, you betcha I am there. Now, I have an old computer, and I may not be able to do things as fast as I could if I had a new one - and there are always some that I may miss, but you can read EVERY post I have ever made in the last 5 YEARS and you will not find ONE mean, hateful, or making fun of post.

And yes, I would much rather have a site full of newbies that are kind to each other than to have one with experienced MEAN members. But, that is my opinion. (and I have been belittled on MANY occasions for my beliefs that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all - I am always the "silver lining" on the dark clouds!) There is too much meanness in the world to have to deal with it on a great cake site.

patriots83 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #87 of 121

lol ok it's like a trainwreck I came back to "peek".

What's amusing to me is that the people that are "relieved that there is less drama" are actually inflicting drama into this thread.

I remember one of you always posting "if you don't like the thread, don't click on it".

Perhaps we should follow our own advice and stop fueling the fire. This is now so off topic it's ridiculous.

I miss the valuable members that have been banned, between them they have posted 20,000+ posts, that's a lot of information.

If you don't miss them then why even "click on this thread"? Just sayin' let it go.

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #88 of 121

I guess I still didn't answer your question, well, I will try!

I don't think that CC started with all experienced cake decorators. I have no doubt it would be fine. The few that are gone will not even be known next year.....they willl have been replaced. Everyone is a work in progress - those that are new to cakes now will be the future of the site.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #89 of 121

But aren't you the same one to say "ignore". And what you may interpret as mean, others see as direct. And that in there lies the problem. We all don't see things the same way and we all don't phrase things the same way. Have I seen smart a$$, sure, but flat out mean? No. And the other factor is EVERYONE is an adult on here. I'm not going to baby any one more then I would my 8 year old.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #90 of 121
Quote:

I guess I still didn't answer your question, well, I will try!

I don't think that CC started with all experienced cake decorators. I have no doubt it would be fine. The few that are gone will not even be known next year.....they willl have been replaced. Everyone is a work in progress - those that are new to cakes now will be the future of the site.

Oh and of course this was said very kind. Nope, that wasn't mean or nasty at all. Practice what you preach.

Everyone have a good day. PM as needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%