Sps Vs. Wilton

Decorating By cakefort Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 12:18am by cakefort

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 12

I've only stacked cakes with dowels, although I am vaguely familiar with Wilton's plate/pillar method (or whatever you call it). SPS looks pretty much the same. Can someone explain the difference?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 12

A pillar is placed between the tiers, leaving space (4 to 5 inches) so you can add flowers or something between the tiers.

This is a plate-n-pillar'd cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=155153

SPS legs go down into the cake for assembling a stacked cake. Check leahs cake pics. All of her cakes are set up with SPS.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 12

Wilton hidden pillars and SPS are really nothing alike. The SPs legs fit tightly into the plate - so tight you may have to really work at it to pull them out. It's sturdy, secure.

The W version is wobbly, wonky. The legs don't even begin to fit tightly. Not even close.

SPS comes precut in these lengths : 4", 5", 7" and 9". The advantage of precut at the factory is that you know they're all perfectly even.

With W you have to cut the legs. If they're uneven, your cake could lean or fall.

And finally, SPS is usually cheaper.

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 12

Is SPS disposable or reusable?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:23am
post #5 of 12

Cheap enough to be disposable (just add cost to price of cake and you don't have to worry about getting it back), but can be reused if you wish. icon_smile.gif

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the info!

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of 12

I consider it disposable. You can get a couple of uses out of hte legs and additional uses out of the plates, though.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #8 of 12

Just chiming in here, if you're trying to decide between the Wilton and SPS - go with SPS! I just used it for my first time last week and LOVED it! I had no worries about it sliding or falling. You can breathe easy and that is worth a lot.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 12

I've been trying to find where to buy the sps but can't find it at the sights I've checked. Is it called SPS or is there another name I should be looking for? Could someone please pm me the info if we can't name companies on this forum.
Thanks,
Grams

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grams

I've been trying to find where to buy the sps but can't find it at the sights I've checked. Is it called SPS or is there another name I should be looking for? Could someone please pm me the info if we can't name companies on this forum.
Thanks,
Grams

The cheapest I've found it (buying in small quantities) is at Oasis Supply. Their site is http://www.oasisupply.com/home.asp. Not sure if that will come up or not, but if you google it, it's the first link.

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:26am
post #11 of 12

ditto

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #12 of 12

Thank you all so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%