Crisco Vs. Hi-Ratio

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 4:51am by pastryqueen9

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 13

I make buttercream with both Crisco and Hi-Ratio Shortenings, I'd like to get some opinions on what the rest of you cc enthusiasts feel about making buttercream with Crisco vs. Hi-Ratio Shortening? As much as I hear about the Hi-Ratio Shortening I'm finding most clients like the taste and texture of the Hi-Ratio over the Crisco.

12 replies
kerry126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerry126 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 13

I have only made one batch of icing with hi-ratio shortening. I live in the DFW area and having trouble finding it. I got it at a local cake supply but is was $3.50 for 1.5 cups. A little expensive. Anyone have any other ideas on where to get hi-ratio shortening. When I use crisco the consistency of my icing is odd. I have trouble smoothing my icing even after it crust and using the viva method. Sometimes the icing even slides off the sides of the cake after it sits for a while. Any ideas?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #3 of 13

I only use the hi-ratio--there is no comparison between frosting made with it compared to Crisco. I buy it in 50# cubes from my supplier.

pastryqueen9 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #4 of 13

There are some cake suppliers that sell the Hi-Ratio shortening I think Globalsugarart.com might have it. You can also try fancyflour.com and amazon.com. There is a website called docakes.com and they sell it as well.

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 13

I have been in the business for a long time and I can tell you that using hi ratio is more to your advantage. Crisco changed their recipe which radically changed the consistancy of icing.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #6 of 13

I wish there was just an "agree" button! Yes, you can order Hi-Ratio from GlobalSugarArt. It's about $2/lb.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #7 of 13

I can't use a ton, my caking just being a hobby, so I just get mine at thebakerskitchen.net -$8.99 for 4lbs.

It's labeled as TBK, but it's Sweetex hi-ratio. (has to be renamed when put in smaller containers.)
HTH

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:09am
post #8 of 13

Kerry, any chance you are a commercial baker meaning you have a tax id? I am in Dallas too and found a supplier that only sells to businesses. I'd be willing to split a 50lb tub with you if you have a tax id. I have bought hi ratio from both cake carousel and cakes amore in Plano. They are different brands, slightly different texture but about the same priceicon_sad.gif

kerry126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerry126 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 13

sillywabbitz - no I am not a commercial baker, I just cake for fun.

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 13

I do high ratio every time most of the time people prefer it compared to just regular crisco. Also, it is much easier to coat cakes with compared to crisco. It makes everyone's lives easier in the end.

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #11 of 13

I always use Hi-Ratio. I used Crisco once and had complaints that my buttercream tasted "different." So I never used it again.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #12 of 13

I use half and half (Hi-Ratio/Crisco). The first time I bought Hi-Ratio I bought if from this little cake supply store in another town 100 miles from where I live as no one around my town or surrounding towns sell Hi-Ratio. It cost me a fortune. But I wanted to try it adn see if it was as great as everyone on CC said it was.

A month ago I ordered the 12 pound box from Global Sugar, even with the shipping it was still a lot cheaper then driving 100 miles and paying the price per pound that the cake shop was charging.

I am a hobby baker so I divided the 12 pounds into the exact amount I need per BC batch and wrapped it in plastic wrap, froze it and then sealed it in Food Saver bags and put it back in the freezer.

I reallly do like the Hi-Ratio and it does make a world of difference in the flavor and consistency of BC.

pastryqueen9 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:51am
post #13 of 13

OMG! I made a mixed batch of buttercream tonight half hi-ratio half crisco...and I see what you guys were talking about the buttercream would barely stay on the cake whenever I moved the spatula the buttercream would roll up off the cake and wouldn't adhere to the cake...UGH!!! so frustrating!!! I guess I've become a Hi-Ratio gal icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%