Guiness Cake

Baking By sleeper713 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 2:49am by tavyheather

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #1 of 6

With St. Patrick's Day coming up, I'm curious... how is the flavor of the Guiness cake? I'm having a hard time imagining chocolate and beer together in a cake, but I'm hoping that someone who's tried it can let me know what they think. (the recipe is in the GoogleDocs link with all the WASC flavors)

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

Are you referring to chocolate stout cake on epicurious? That one I have made, and I can say that it is delicious. I got compliments on it from non-cake lovers. Here is the recipe I tried, I read about it on smittenkitchen.com but it's from Gourmet magazine
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105
As good as the cake is, I don't care for leftover Guinness, and it's not that tasty to me that I want to drink it up. But it's great in the cake. Maybe Guinness tastes better in Ireland....but in the USA it's not that great as a beverage...IMO.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

I made a guinness chocolate cake about a month ago and I thought it was great! My usual chocolate cake recipe has coffee in it and I felt like the guinness complimented the chocolate in the same way. It makes it less sweet but still nice and rich if that makes sense. It does NOT taste like beer! And husbands like that there is leftover guinness (at least mine does)! I paired mine with a caramel buttercream and it was a big hit. HTH

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 6

It's fantastic! I've been making it for years, paired with a Bailey's buttercream. I even had a bride request it for her wedding and had rave reviews. Beer is like coffee in that it will enhance the chocolate flavor, but it does lend a unique taste as well. Hope you do try it. Beware, the recipe in epicurious makes a lot of batter, and I have not had any luck cutting it in half, but it's awesome!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 6

I am planning on making this for my husband (who LOVES Guinness) to take into work for St. Patrick's Day. From reading this though, you cannot really taste the Guinness in it? Is there anything I can do to enhance the Guinness?? TIA

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

I've recv'd rave reviews of the one I've made, it's Tish Boyle's from The Cake Book ...I poured dark choc ganache on it and my DH and his male coworkers LOVED it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%