Fondant Covered Cupcakes

Baking By nanaburrows_nanacakes Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 10:04am by bashini

nanaburrows_nanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanaburrows_nanacakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hello fellow bakers - I need to know a good technique for covering cupcakes with fondant for a wedding. I have seen the poured technique has anyone tried this? Does it look completely smooth? or should I be thinking of covering them with something else to make a smooth covering. They will be decorated as dotted swiss with a bow. Thanks in advance - Donna "Nanacakes"

9 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, I always use fondant to cover my cupcakes. I ice the cupcakes with a bit of bc (that works as glue for the fondant to stick) and then cut fondant discs to the size of the top of the cupcake (I use normal pastry cutters to cut these discs). Then I stick the discs on the cupcakes and rub the top with my palm. There are few cakes that I did in my photos if you like to see. icon_smile.gif

nanaburrows_nanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanaburrows_nanacakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the advice - your photos are wonderful

bashini Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 10

You are welcome icon_smile.gif & Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

dolceanita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolceanita Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 10

I like to make fondant coveret cupcakes for my daughter reception but I need to make them in advance. How far in advance can i prepare them and how should i store them?

bashini Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 10

Hi, when it comes to cupcakes, I bake and decorate them a day ahead. I do this as I want them to be as fresh as possible. Since they are small cakes, they tend to dry out quicker than a big cake. But I know you can freeze cupcakes and hope someone who does this would help you out. icon_smile.gif

dolceanita Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 10

thank you. I was thinking to freeze some if i don t find some help in baking them but after i will cover the cupcakes with fondant how long do they last? do i store them in the fridge or in a box? the reception is on a saturday night..can i prepare the cupcakes on thursday or friday?

bashini Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 10

You certainly can make them on thursday (but I would make them on friday) and store them in cake boxes. icon_smile.gif

dolceanita Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:08am
post #9 of 10

i have a question...will the fondant stay soft after 1 or 2 days or it will become hard? Covered fondant cupcakes look really pretty but do people really eat the fondant or they will take it off?

bashini Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:04am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolceanita

i have a question...will the fondant stay soft after 1 or 2 days or it will become hard? Covered fondant cupcakes look really pretty but do people really eat the fondant or they will take it off?

They don't go soft. They will be a bit hard, but not too hard. SOme people do eat the fondant and some don't. Its a personal preference. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%