First Wedding Cake This Sunday! Help- Stenciling

Decorating By tlcrrredneck Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 2:53am by 2txmedics

tlcrrredneck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcrrredneck Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 16

I need suggestions on how to stencil on fondant? Do I use butter cream icing or royal icing? also i need any technique that has worked for you! Please help want it to be perfect. Its going to be a 3 tier wedding cake (white ) with black ribbon at bottom and black stenciling!!!

thank you ahead of time! icon_lol.gif

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 16

I've used royal. I'd just tell you to practice a lot. Frankly, I've deleted stenciled cakes from my offerings.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 16

Would airbrushing work? I've always wanted to try stencils myself but am a little apprehensive ?

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 16

Make sure the sides are completely smooth and straight. Otherwise, you'll be more likely to get some smearing of the design. And, as Leah said, practice, practice, practice. Get a dummy (or make one from rice krispy treats) and wrap it in press-n-seal. Then you can just wipe it off and start again.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysue99

Make sure the sides are completely smooth and straight. Otherwise, you'll be more likely to get some smearing of the design. And, as Leah said, practice, practice, practice. Get a dummy (or make one from rice krispy treats) and wrap it in press-n-seal. Then you can just wipe it off and start again.

I like this idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 16

[quote="Kellbella"]Would airbrushing work? I've always wanted to try stencils myself but am a little apprehensive ?[/quote]

To airbrush the stencil would need to be stuck down to the icing to prevent underspray. I wouldnt attempt that.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 16

Did I understand correctly that you have a WEDDING cake due in FOUR days, and you have never tried the technique ? You have A LOT more guts than I do !! I would be scared to death ESPECIALLY using black on white where everything shows.......

tlcrrredneck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcrrredneck Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 16

well no one is hiring me it is for my little sister. she is easy to please. icon_eek.gif

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 16

Airbrushing or royal icing will work you just need to be careful not to spray in the wrong direction or smudge the royal

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 16

if you have help stenciling is not that bad. having some one hold the stencil for you helps me a lot. Clean the stencil between uses too so none of the royal seeps underneath.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 16

I stencilled with buttercream ON crusting buttercream and I was actually pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I'm sure going onto fondant would be a lot easier, but I dont' "do" fondant. icon_smile.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 16

I have taught some classes on stenciling....Personally I love it. First get some poster board and practice. I use buttercream. Black on white is beautiful. I wish I knew how to post pictures I would send some. (Maybe some one can tell me how.)..I use pins with heads to hold my stencils. First make the pin hole in the stencil. Before you put on cake. Otherwise pushing the pin through the stencil without a pilot hole will smash the cake. I pin it on use a wide spatula, (putty knife) try to move in one direction only. try not to push hard. and try not to go over it more times than you have to. If the cake is rounded the stencil will poof at the curve. Then go up and down with the spatula rather than left to right.

Let area dry some before you put stencil next to it to do another area. And wash and COMPLETELY dry stencil between each area.

Hope this helps

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 16

if you're stenciling on fondant I would use royal icing and I would also get some very low tack masking tape (like the blue painter's tape) and tape the stencil down, smear the royal (you want the royal to be the consistency of buttercream), and make sure it's a nice thin layer or you'll get rough edges when you remove the stencil.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 16

I had also read about Stenciling with BC, and I attempted it on a practice cake for a friends bday....its in my Photos, called "Rachels Cake"...and for some reason, It came out bulky and I had a hard time. I used BC to stencil on Crusted BC.

I wanted to try RI on BC, but I need to also know how to do that...any Tips??? and is it better to use a whole stencil sheet or just one design to stencil at a time, another words each design piece?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 16

This is the one I did. I was nervous too. I used sugar veil and it worked great. RI would be my second choice. I practiced on a silpad.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1442993

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #16 of 16

Gosh Im not ready for Sugar Veil...lol....Im still tryinig to get through the scroll on cakes, or piping on cakes or even painting the work on cakes!!!

HELP!!!! Have to start work on a cake tomm....trying to figure out what I want to do...its for a friend so no biggie on whats done, thats why Im wanting to practice.

So Can I paint on BC with RI? do I have to thin it out?
Can I paint on BC with BC, thinned?
and the main one, who do I stencil on a cake? with either BC or RI???

thanks all I appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%