What Is Wrong With People?! (Vent)

Decorating By lindseyelaine Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 3:28am by JulieMN

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyelaine

She e-mails me today and says "... Is this normal protocal or do you just need money?"

"Do you understand what a policy is or are you just flat broke/cheap?" icon_evil.gif

Actually, I wouldn't even bother. You've already bent over backwards to give her great deal, which she clearly doesn't appreciate. Plus, from what I've read on other threads, other bakers wouldn't even be considering her order considering her wedding is 2 1/2 weeks away and there is still NO SIGNED CONTRACT and NO DEPOSIT. You're just supposed to hold this date for her, right up to her wedding, with nothing in return, nor anything to protect yourself with?

I understand the feeling of wanting experience, but unless you mean you are wanting experience with rude, selfish, and shady people, cut your loss now. If you really want to try this design, try it on a smaller scale. You were going to cut the your cost to make it for someone who isn't even appreciative or respectful of your schedule and policies - why not just make it for fun, for practice and your portfolio.

For you own sanity, if you do decide to go forward with her order, don't give in and bend your policies! And probably be prepared for complaints after the wedding and refund request, even if your cake is perfect. Some people have a lot of nerve, and this bride and her MIL sound like they are those type of people.

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #32 of 76

Ultimately this is your client.. your cake.. your decision.. Me, I agree with "don't do it".. It's a headache you don't need..but use this as a guideline to set priorities of what you expect from your future clients.. I would NOT give a cake without being paid in full first..

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #33 of 76

Lindsey, you've been given some very good advice from all the experienced bakers who have responded to your post. Please....listen to them. It will save you a ton of grief.

Obviously your inner voice has also been telling you that there is something wrong with this scenario. You wouldn't have taken the time to post if you didn't feel something is off.

Listen to your intuition and listen to your fellow CC'ers - they won't steer you wrong!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

"Do you understand what a policy is or are you just flat broke/cheap?" icon_evil.gif

Oh, I love how you mimicked her snarky comment as a reply!

lindseyelaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyelaine Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #35 of 76

So, I sent her an e-mail basically telling her that I am unable to do her cake, and this was her reply:

"Ok, please send me the contract, and lets set up a time to meet and take care of the payment. I'm sorry if you are offended by me asking I've just never personally had to pay 100% up front for a food item, its normally a portion of the full payment, but if this is how you do it thats fine, I would just like to meet in person, instead of never meeting someone and just mailing them $200. When we meet is it possible to taste a sample of the white cake? or maybe 2 choices or what not?"

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #36 of 76

did she not check with other bakers? It's my understanding that it is common practice to get a deposit at the time of booking to secure the date and have the balance paid in full before the actual delivery date. She's just plain ignorant.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #37 of 76

I still say NOOOOO, run awaaaaay! And samples? On an already deeply discounted order, two weeks before the wedding? Ummm, Costco or WallyWorld can help her now.

If you do take it, good luck - I (and DH agrees) have a feeling this won't be the last of the problems. If do accept a check, make sure it clears before delivery. We've all seen those stories!

I was reading it to my hubby and he said there would be no way he would want to work with a customer that was being like this.

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:11am
post #38 of 76

So how does she pay for her groceries- give them a down payment and tell them she'll mail them the rest?? that is if she likes the groceries.

She sounds like a customer in my son's restaurant that told the server, " just leave me the menu honey, I probably won't like what I order so I'll just have to have you get me something else, but I won't pay for it if I don't like that either. I told my daughter that she needs to serve her and when she tells her to leave her the menu to show her the door.

If you let this person badger you in to making her cake, you are caving in to her. She won't be satisfied with 2 choices; it will be 'well, I'd rather have a purple people eater cake'. She sounds like a spoiled brat, used to getting her own way by brow beating a 'person that caters to her wishes'. Just email her back and say you are already booked for that date. YOU SNOOZE YOU LOOSE!

Colleen

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:11am
post #39 of 76
Quote:

... I would just like to meet in person, instead of never meeting someone and just mailing them $200......

sheesshhhh,. you have been telling her you need to meet her to go thru all of this

as far as having to pay upfront - she cant be that naive to the bridal industry to think that there are going to be vendors running around the reception centre chasing after someone for payment while the bride and groom are in the background. Reminds me of that bridezilla episode where the marachi band is chasing someone for payment at a $100K wedding they get nagged about a discount after they have performed

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #40 of 76
Quote:

So, I sent her an e-mail basically telling her that I am unable to do her cake, and this was her reply:

"Ok, please send me the contract, and lets set up a time to meet and take care of the payment. I'm sorry if you are offended by me asking I've just never personally had to pay 100% up front for a food item, its normally a portion of the full payment, but if this is how you do it thats fine, I would just like to meet in person, instead of never meeting someone and just mailing them $200. When we meet is it possible to taste a sample of the white cake? or maybe 2 choices or what not?"

LOL, I don't think that a tasting is going to do you a damn bit of good when you're signing the contract. What was she thinking she would do if she didn't like it? Go to another baker 2 weeks before her wedding? This girl sounds really dumb and also completely oblivious to how she affects others. So I guess self-centered is where I'm going with that. I'd stick to your guns and still refuse. It will NOT end well for you.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #41 of 76

She's asking for a sample of cake that she had the chance to taste before at the birthday party that your cake was being served at?

Why didn't she just taste it at the party? And if she hates cake anyhow, then why ask for the sample?

You could mention that the payment process for wedding cakes is the same everywhere else unless she goes with grocery store sheet cake. Then she'll be expected to pay when she picks it up. Normally, a portion of the final payment is due at the time of contract signing, which normally is months before the wedding. This is a deposit which holds the date. Then final payment is due two weeks before the date, as you stated was the norm in your area.

I would for sure mention (and this would be my policy) that since the order is a rush order by now anyways, samples won't be provided unless she wants to just buy a six inch from you (undecorated, remember she saw your work at the birthday party, you no longer have to prove or sell your skills. she's seen what you can do). However unless you have some left over cuppies from something you could bring that, but I would mention that they are left over from another order.

If I had been having this interaction with the bride, I would continue and do the cake for her as long as she pays you CASH when you meet. She did acknowledge that she insulted you and apologized for that. Now is your chance to be the bigger person, accept her apology and provide her with a great wedding cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:49am
post #42 of 76

Just wanted to mention that I checked out your pics and that bride has no clue how much of a deal she's getting for her money. She said $200 in the last email?

Here's a comparison, I paid around 400-450 for my wedding cake. Three tier hexagon, buttercream, no colors (weird bakery that refused to use artificial food dye in their cakes, so the only color they would do was chocolate or pink, using raspberry juice!), basic decorations. I paid extra for flowers from the florist to decorate the cake with. Tasted good, but I really wish I had paid the extra money to get a colorful cake because it did look quite plain.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:55am
post #43 of 76

It is NOT worth your time to try to meet this woman halfway. If you do this cake you'll have only yourself to blame when she (or her MIL) finds something wrong with it and demands a refund. Take this whole experience as a learning experience and tell her that you can't work with her. If you let her push you into doing the cake I guarantee that dealing with her isn't going to get any easier!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #44 of 76

She may not be but she sounds flakey to me....
She knows you're legit, she seen a cake you provided at another function.

She doesn't like cake...
She wants samples

You tell her you'd like to meet...
She doesn't reply

You tell her you can't do it...
Now, she is okay with all of your policies

You could respond to her "never paid someone in advance..." comment with "I've never not gotten paid in advance..."

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #45 of 76

Ive had people exactly like this. DO NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT CAVE! She is going to be the first person to contact you on either Sunday night or Monday morning and complain about not liking the cake or to try to get her money back from you or some other complaint. Just walk away. I know you probably are a lot like a lot of us and feel bad about doing that. I know I cant afford to deny orders but really, you will be saving yourself a lot of money and a big headache. I had a client pull this on me. He wanted a engagement cake for 200 for a Saturday (he called on Monday). I was happy to take the order and he kept complaining about the price and didnt want to pay for delivery (2 hours away by the way). Asked for a deposit and a contract. oh he signed the contract but I never got paid for the thing. He probably knew that I wouldnt bother taking him to court over it so thats why they pull this. I spent money that I didnt have to get the last minute ingredients and I got a kick in the butt for it!
People like this really should be a red flag. Really. Dont do it. There is a reason why she does not have a cake squared away and that her mother thinks its ok to not pay in full after the event. Their called deadbeats!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #46 of 76

*sigh* So what do you do now? Did you mention something in your last email to her that prompted her apology?

Do you want to make the cake for her? Are you okay with taking a check from her?

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #47 of 76

What part of "I can't make your cake" do you think she doesn't get!!!!!!!! At this point the only email I would send her is a copy of the last one.
"I CAN"T MAKE YOUR CAKE!!!!!"

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #48 of 76

I agree with everyone...this is just a headache situation if you choose to do the cake for her. She'll find something wrong with the cake and contact you for a refund after it's over. You have a contract for a reason and she hasn't signed it. Since she did not sign YOUR contract, you are not obligated to do her cake. There were some great replies on here. Pick your favorite response from the CC members...send it...and find a new cake to do! If you're like me, you got into cake decorating because you found it "FUN". You're already stressed over dealing with the bride. It just may be one of those cakes that starts out bad because of the client and doesn't get any better. Cancel the order and be done with it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #49 of 76

"I'm sorry, but as my previous email stated, I will be unable to do your cake. My policies regarding weddings are that contracts need to be signed and deposits made no less than 30 days in advance, with FINAL payment due 2 weeks prior to the event. That time frame has elapsed, and therefore the date is no longer available for your event. I had generously given you a much discounted price and allowed the contract date to slip significantly, but at this point my patience with this matter and your lack of professional respect has been thoroughly exhausted, and I will not be doing your cake. "

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:31pm
post #50 of 76

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

"I'm sorry, but as my previous email stated, I will be unable to do your cake. My policies regarding weddings are that contracts need to be signed and deposits made no less than 30 days in advance, with FINAL payment due 2 weeks prior to the event. That time frame has elapsed, and therefore the date is no longer available for your event. I had generously given you a much discounted price and allowed the contract date to slip significantly, but at this point my patience with this matter and your lack of professional respect has been thoroughly exhausted, and I will not be doing your cake. "

Well said. I would be turning the other direction, very, very quickly. What a hassle she's putting you through.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Hallelujah! I'll be tucking this gem in the hem of my sleeve for later use! I LOVE the 'lack of professional respect' quote. Absolute artwork!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:09pm
post #53 of 76

Perfectly stated Sagebrush!

lindseyelaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyelaine Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #54 of 76

Chasey- this was part of the e-mail that prompted her apology:

"Getting payment in advance is normal protocol for any bakery, not just because I am starting out. One of the reasons why we sign a contract is to protect you, not just me. By signing the contract I am promising to have your cake, decorated with your design, on your wedding date. At this point, I've done everything I can to accomodate your deadline and budget, but I cannot waiver on this... "

And I only feel comfortable taking a check from her if I receive it two weeks in advance.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #55 of 76

My husband and I rented out our attached studio apartment for years. One thing I learned is that if applicants are difficult/demanding/flakey when we met with them to show them the room, you can multiply that difficult/demanding/flakey attitude X 10 or 20 if we rented to them. It's the same with cakes.

Dump her fast, she's already been too much trouble, and she's only going to get worse.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #56 of 76
Quote:

She has never paid 100% up front on a food item?? Has this woman ever gone grocery shopping???

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #57 of 76

i totally agree with indideb and sagebrush-you have been accommidating and as much as you'd like to help someone out and work within their budget there is only so much you can do. if you do this and meet their/her demands she will not be happy at the end of the day and demand a full refund or cancel the check-i would only accept cash from her-does she not realize that you have to buy ingredients to make this cake. that or the MIL will say something is wrong-it's very fishy and there are always other cakes. the best thing about working for yourself is you can avoid these hassels and learn from others mistakes and experiences

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #58 of 76

Is there a chance that she is young, has little social ettiquette, and is just trying to go by the advice of what all the magazines, tv shows, and opinions of others (such as future MIL) say? Too bad she didn't get more info from the birthday party friend - maybe then she would have understood the pricing, etc... However, I agree with the others - she sounds like she is out to get something for nothing!

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #59 of 76

I love this! Hey-it's my business, you can play by MY rules, or you can go to Walmart if you don't like it! To the curb with her!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #60 of 76
Quote:

Chasey- this was part of the e-mail that prompted her apology:

"Getting payment in advance is normal protocol for any bakery, not just because I am starting out. One of the reasons why we sign a contract is to protect you, not just me. By signing the contract I am promising to have your cake, decorated with your design, on your wedding date. At this point, I've done everything I can to accomodate your deadline and budget, but I cannot waiver on this... "

And I only feel comfortable taking a check from her if I receive it two weeks in advance.

That is a very well worded explanation, glad she realized she was a little snippy in her "do you need the money" comment.

However, when I read that paragraph, I don't get the impression that you said you can't do her cake. Was there another email that said that implicitly or just this one and that's why you got the last email about "please send me a contract?"

I think your final email should just state that "I'm sorry I must have been unclear when I said I cannot waiver on this matter. What I meant was that I am unable to do your wedding cake due to my policy and the time frame we are now in. I appreciate you wanting to do business and I hope that going forward you will be able to hire a baker who can fulfill your wishes for your wedding day."

Or...whatever you feel you need to say, but I think you DO need to say 'I am unable to make your wedding cake." The end. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%