Need Your Advice On Fondant Train Animals

Decorating By staceycake Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm by MissyTex

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #1 of 4

I am going to be making a train cake similar to Sugarshack's "john david" train cake (see picture below). However, I need the train to look like the other picture below. I've worked very little with fondant - just enough to know how to cover cakes and add very basic fondant shapes to them using cutters (circles, squares, flowers, etc.).

I think that I'll be able to recreate the train cars using basic shapes with the help of cookie cutters and/or knives to cut out the shapes. The part that I'm concerned about is recreating the animals in the second train car. Would anyone be willing to share their ideas and tips with me on how to best do this?

I really appreciate any advice that you can offer. Thanks!
LL
LL

3 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 4

I would try to print off the picture of the animals to the size you need and cut out each animal to use as a template. If you do that make sure you dust cornstarch on the fondant before placing the paper on it to cut around it. I have a bad habit of not doing that and the paper sticking. HTH

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the advice. Okay, another question: What is the best tool to use for cutting out fondant shapes like this? Just a plain old knife or is there something else that would work better? Thanks again for the help.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with the template advice. I would use an exacto knife and be very careful, pizza cutter for the larger shapes. For the dots, use a large round piping tip, for the giraffe horns and ears and the bird feathers, use your fingers to make tiny tear drop shapes and flatten with your finger or rolling pin. For the lion's mane, maybe cut a circle and use one of your star piping tips around the edge to make it jagged, or maybe drag a toothpick. You could also use a heart cutter for the lions face and cut the point off. Cute picture. Good luck and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%