Is The Cricut Cake Out Already And Where Do I Get One?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm by JenniferAtwood

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 31

Does anyone have the cricut for cakes? Where can i get one? How do you like it?

30 replies
jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 31

It seems to be coming out mid-end April in the US not sure about anywhere else but I WANT ONE hehe

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 31

We are test the cricut cake in production right now. You can check out my blog about it at http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 31

I can't wait!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 31

Iwas just at the CT cake show today and they were demoing the cake cricut.
They said that HSN was going to have it with a bundle package on april 14. And available to stores beg. Of may.
They also have pre-made fondant sheets in all colors available.
Retail price according to the representitives are approx. $400 and $15 for the sheets.
It was really exciting to watch the demo.
I'm returning the small cricut I bought yesterday.the cartidges are so expensive. And they said that all cartridges are interchangeable.
I don't think I can afford or justify the price of the cake cricut.
HTH

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 31

HSN has flex payments on the regular Expression so I would imagine they would have it on the Cake. Works for me not one chunk of change at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

Iwas just at the CT cake show today and they were demoing the cake cricut.
They said that HSN was going to have it with a bundle package on april 14. And available to stores beg. Of may.
They also have pre-made fondant sheets in all colors available.
Retail price according to the representitives are approx. $400 and $15 for the sheets.
It was really exciting to watch the demo.
I'm returning the small cricut I bought yesterday.the cartidges are so expensive. And they said that all cartridges are interchangeable.
I don't think I can afford or justify the price of the cake cricut.
HTH

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 31

Oh yes flex plan is a great way to get it!
Good luck-hope you get one!!!

CentralCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CentralCake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #8 of 31

In one of seller's description of Cricut Cake written: "can cut from 1/2 millimeter to 2 1/2 millimeter in width".
1) Is it true? What width Cricut Cake can cut?
2) What width Cricut Expression can cut?
TNX!

JenniferAtwood Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:37am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCake

In one of seller's description of Cricut Cake written: "can cut from 1/2 millimeter to 2 1/2 millimeter in width".
TNX!

We will be testing the thicknesses over the next few days on both and will be posting soon. Just to be sure are you talking about the thickness or the width?

CentralCake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:56am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferAtwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCake

TNX!

We will be testing the thicknesses over the next few days on both and will be posting soon. Just to be sure are you talking about the thickness or the width?

I mean thickness. Unfortunaly official site has no technical specifications.
In this store we can see Deep Cut Blades with description "allowing you to cut materials up to 1.5mm thick" (also there is Deep Cut Blade & Housing). But in this Ebay we can read about 2,5mm of Cricut Cake.

So, my questions:
1) What thickness Cricut Cake can cut?
2) What thickness Cricut Expression can cut?
Thanks.

CentralCake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #11 of 31

Another one question:

3) If I have no cartridge, can Cricut Expression work directly with PC-software without ANY cartridge?

JenniferAtwood Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #12 of 31

You have to have a cartridge in the machine for it to work. You can use the one that came with the machine. Then use a program like Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL).

Cattibrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cattibrie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #13 of 31

Just remember that using SCAL or any of the other non cricut programs voids your warranty so you might want to wait the year of the warranty before getting the programs.

Can't wait for the Cake so I can get the mats for my expression.

JenniferAtwood Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #14 of 31

If you cut the rollers off to use the gumpaste....that will void the warranty also. They can also decline your warranty if they find out you use gumpaste in your expression. They will tell you that this was not the intended purpose.

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #15 of 31

I've never used one so this might sound like such a naive question. Will the new Cricut work on other than fondant/gumpaste? I'd like one for paper and one for my cakes, its going to be hard enough justifying the $400 or so for it, I'd hate to spend on a second one.

JenniferAtwood Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #16 of 31

I am currently working on a compairison between the two. Check out my blog at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

Cattibrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cattibrie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:44am
post #17 of 31

I didn't think about cutting the rollers off voiding the warranty. Mine is out of warranty already.

Thanks for the link to your blog. I was thinking of saving up for the Cake so it will be great to ses what a professional thinks of it before I spend the money.

CentralCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferAtwood

I am currently working on a compairison between the two. Check out my blog at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

Great job. Thank you VERY much!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:59pm
post #19 of 31

Jennfier - I read your blog the other day and it makes me only want the Cricut cake even more.

Thanks so much for taking time to blog all of those differences and for including pictures with it.

CakieCutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakieCutie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 31

Don't cut fondant with your cricut, expressions or otherwise...you will mess it up. TRUST me.
It's for gumpaste, NOT fondant.
And can gumpaste really be rolled out and kept soft long enough to ship, sell, and use? I am curious about that...seems like it wouldn't work, but that's just me thinkin' aloud here.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakieCutie

Don't cut fondant with your cricut, expressions or otherwise...you will mess it up. TRUST me.
It's for gumpaste, NOT fondant.
And can gumpaste really be rolled out and kept soft long enough to ship, sell, and use? I am curious about that...seems like it wouldn't work, but that's just me thinkin' aloud here.

Soory but I have to disagree with you on this. Add some tylose to it and it it will cut. However, some brands work better then others and you need to use the deep cut housing and blade and clean it between cuts.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #22 of 31

If you read Jennifer's blog about the cake cricut, she uses fondant (Satin Ice) and lets it dry to certain intervals before cutting it. Her blog is very informative and there's an almost scientific method to it. If you haven't checked it out, you really should. It's well worth the time to read through and look at all of the pictures that she included.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #23 of 31

when you use the SCAL with the CRICUT EXPRESSIONS can you use any graphics you have on your computer or with copyright free graphic art on discs (i have a ton of DOVER graphic discs that i love)?

diane

JenniferAtwood Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

If you read Jennifer's blog about the cake cricut, she uses fondant () and lets it dry to certain intervals before cutting it. Her blog is very informative and there's an almost scientific method to it. If you haven't checked it out, you really should. It's well worth the time to read through and look at all of the pictures that she included.

Angie,
Hopefully, this evening I will finish the second part. We have been testing other materials. sugarveil, mmf, edible image sheets, cookie dough, and yes even cheese (not sure why, but someone asked). We will also be showing the differences in the housings.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattibrie

Just remember that using SCAL or any of the other non cricut programs voids your warranty so you might want to wait the year of the warranty before getting the programs.

Can't wait for the Cake so I can get the mats for my expression.

I'm a scrapbooker and this has been beaten around in all the scrapbooking forums. In reality SCAL will not do anything to your machine, because it doesn't install anything into it. That's just Provo Craft's way of scaring people into not buying the competition's products. LOL

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #26 of 31

Drakegore (Diane) I believe the files have to be SVG. I don't have SCAL but have read so much about it.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #27 of 31

The blade houseing that is used in the Cake Cricut, will this work in the Expression also. I like the idea of being closed, I have so struggled with product clogging up the blade.

JenniferAtwood Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:41pm
post #28 of 31

The expression housings fit into the cake, however the cake housing does not fit into the expression. It is to large.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm
post #29 of 31

Well now thats smart of them !

CakieCutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakieCutie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:17pm
post #30 of 31

I still won't be cutting fondant...I mean, why? Gumpaste works so nicely, is easy to handle, etc. If you are adding tylose to fondant, why not just make (or buy) some gumpaste? I make a batch, freeze what I don't use, and pull out as needed. I do not do cakes every week, so this is perfect for me.
And yes, I've read Jennifer's blog. I wish Provo Craft had given more people the Cake to test out. Not that her's in bad, it's just, I like to have a LOT of opinions, KWIM? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%