Does Fondant Even Taste Good?

Decorating By cmom Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm by catlharper

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 18

There are so many unbelievable cakes done with alot of fondant, but my question is "does it really taste that good?" Honestly I have only had it one time that I can remember and though the cake itself was delicious, the fondant was just kinda.....chewy.Not fluffy and sweet like buttercream. Even my 9 year old hated it. Are there really tasty fondants? I would love to learn how to work with fondant but if it doesn't taste great I am not sure I want to.

17 replies
auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #2 of 18

try mmf or mff - both have recipes on this site.

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #3 of 18

I find it tastes good. Well mmf does anyways icon_smile.gif I've heard it tastes better than regular fondant. The nice thing about it is for those that don't like the texture it's super easy to peel off and enjoy the buttercream icing that's underneath!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 18

Most people have more of a problem with the texture than the taste. Satin Ice taste like regular icing to me if it's rolled thin......also you don't get that chewy texture if you roll it thin. HTH

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #5 of 18

No, it tastes good (MFF and MMF) if you just eat a little piece of it, but on cake, no. It's NOT icing it's sweet playdough, but it certainly looks great. In fact my family asked me to stop making cakes with fondant. Boohoo

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #6 of 18

I agree with Kelli, if it's really thin and on a really good cake, then, yes, it tastes fine.

I also think the flavour is improved by using chocolate ganache under fondant instead of buttercream.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:08am
post #7 of 18

It's all a matter of preference...I love it and so do most of my family and friends. Some just don't like it!

I make mmf most of the time but I will make regular fondant too!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:21am
post #8 of 18

i have always said. a fondant covered cake is only as good as the cake underneath it.. and i believe that. great tasting cake , thinly rolled fondant. that melds with your cake flavors. can,t be bad.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:30am
post #9 of 18

taste-wise is the matter of personal preference for sure...
many people have bad experiences with fondant because some people rolled it too thick and too much buttercream underneath, which adds more sweetness, then that covers up the cake itself so it seems like you biting into mouthfuls after mouthfuls of sugar.

cmom Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 18

Ok, thank you, I guess that was what Iwas expecting. I can see where the MMF might be a little tastier. I guess I'll just have to give it a try, as with anything else. I just know Iwould beat myself up if I spent a lot of time doing a cake only to have everyone peel off the top layer.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:58am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom

Ok, thank you, I guess that was what Iwas expecting. I can see where the MMF might be a little tastier. I guess I'll just have to give it a try, as with anything else. I just know Iwould beat myself up if I spent a lot of time doing a cake only to have everyone peel off the top layer.

Why? The cake and frosting are the parts designed for eating, the fondant is designed to make it pretty. I think it tastes alright, but just too sugar-y (MMF, anyways, although I've only had it by itself, I've never eaten a cake with it on), but the taste is not the main reason I would use it, so I don't see any reason to be upset if people only want to eat the cake and buttercream underneath.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:33am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i have always said. a fondant covered cake is only as good as the cake underneath it.. and i believe that. great tasting cake , thinly rolled fondant. that melds with your cake flavors. can,t be bad.

Agree with ya on this.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 6:08am
post #13 of 18

It tastes great when you make your own! I use Michel Foster's with white chocolate! Smells and tastes great! And so easy to work with too!

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:50am
post #14 of 18

I always make mmf for my cakes. Everyone usually eats the whole cake....fondant and all. In fact, they like to eat the fondant decorations also!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:52am
post #15 of 18

I use Michele Foster's Fondant exclusively. I agree with SharonK1973, it taste great. The white chocolate varaition taste good on any cake.

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:44pm
post #16 of 18

I just made my first batch of MMF (thanks to recipes from CC). I substituted 1 tbsp of vanilla for 1 tbsp of the water and it tasted great! I've tasted Wilton (yuck!) and Satin Ice. I liked the SI but after making my own MMF...i'm sticking with it. My family doesn't normally like fondant but they liked the mmf.
I'm gonna try some other flavorings soon!

cmom Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, you have sold me. I need to learn how to work with this stuff and I will definitely refer back to this information!
Thank you so much! This is such a great website!!! thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 18

I use to use storebought fondant and no one liked it. Oh sure, it looked gorgeous but no one ate it. Then I discovered MMF here and people started giving me good feedback, then I added flavoring to the MMF recipe and now people ask if there is anymore MMF on the cake plate so they can eat it! LOL! I have always liked fondant, tho' not a fan of the Wilton fondant, and I do love flavored MMF (normally just a bit of clear vanilla in mine). But, yes, I have seen people who hated fondant before start to pick off the fondant appliques I have put on the cake and eat them like they were candy and then eat every bite that is on their plates as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%