Michaesl Coupon -They Are On To Us!

Decorating By Win Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 5:47pm by lapazlady

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 52

Well, friends... my new Michaels coupon just came to me via my email. They are now starting to insert your email address into the coupon itself via a box that reads: Exclusive members Only Coupon For: (and here is where my email address is inserted.) I guess they are going to use it as a tracking method? How many times we print and use it? Or, if we pass it along to our friends they could track that as well?

Edited to fix spelling error.

51 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 52

that stinks!! I'm one of those people that take my 3 kids to the store with me and hand them each $10, a various cake decorating tool, and a coupon! lol

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 52

Does it say anywhere on there that it can only be used once?

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 52

If you can only use it once, then it's time to open more email accounts!

Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Does it say anywhere on there that it can only be used once?

No. It still reads one coupon per customer per day... but I wondered if they are using it to track how many times we use it. As well, I don't mind passing it on to my best friend, but I'd be hesitant to post it CC now that it has my email address right on the front of it. thumbsdown.gif

Quote:
Quote:

that stinks!! I'm one of those people that take my 3 kids to the store with me and hand them each $10, a various cake decorating tool, and a coupon! lol

Me too! My 18 yo (boy) goes slinking up to the counter... I know he's just cringing over buying cake stuff!
icon_biggrin.gif

challahmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
challahmama Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 52

How can Michael's track the coupons and the number of times we use the coupon?

The fine print says, one coupon per customer per day. If they have a sophisticated enough system that when they scan the coupon your email address gets flagged and then sends feedback to the store if someone else uses a coupon with your email then more power to them but I don't think they are able to do that just yet.

Keep giving your children their $10 because I most certainly am.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 52

Sounds like they are just wanting to know which email addys to keep sending stuff to...they could easily track that AFTER you've used it, but I doubt they would be putting each one into their system as it's used.

I need to borrow someone's kids next time I go icon_lol.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 52

I wouldn't worry about it, and I work there. We don't necessarily pay too much attention to that. All we glance at is if it's still within the dates. We're certainly not going to ask you to confirm your email address. At the store I work at, you CAN use more than one coupon a day. The only catch is, if there's a line, we have to ask you to go to the end of the line after every transaction; otherwise it just wouldn't be fair to others in line... unless you bring your kids icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and we are always telling people they can print out as many coupons as they want and use them, as long as they are still good. Sometimes people will even ditch a coupon or two at the counter for other people to use.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 52

that is good to know, I always print out 4 and use 1 and look for people in the store to give the other 3 to. I like to give them to parents with several children because I know it is so expensive for parents with small children now a days. I will still do it anyway also.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

that is good to know, I always print out 4 and use 1 and look for people in the store to give the other 3 to. I like to give them to parents with several children because I know it is so expensive for parents with small children now a days. I will still do it anyway also.

Now THAT is so sweet!

Off topic, but reminds me of when my son was little and we bought about 20 tickets for a little carnival that was on a retailer's parking lot. We put him on the first ride and the operator had to stop the ride to let him off becuase he was crying (yeah, this is the same son I brag about who is a "big brave marine hero"! hahahaha!) So here we are with 19 carnival tickets. We see a woman with 3 kids and hand them to her, telling her to make sureher kids have a good time. The look on her face was priceless!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 52

KHalstead I do the same thing with my kids! LOL! They think it is fun!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 52

For the web-savy - use a http://www.guerrillamail.com/ account. It's just for creating temporary email accounts. It will stay active long enough to get your coupon, then be automatically blocked and/or deleted. There's tutorials on the site to help you.

emch1902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emch1902 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 52

I just received the same coupon and my email address is on it. I think I'll probably only give it to my sister to use it from now on.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #14 of 52

I dont use the coupons anymore anyway at Michaels..for one thing, our Michaels SUCKS and also they put everything in the store on sale (like a few pennies off) so you can't use your coupon. Our AC Moore will honor michael's coupons. I wonder if they will track them too?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 52

I haven't received a coupon via email from Michael's in months. Thought they had discontinued it. I am hoping I find one in my email when I get home.

Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I dont use the coupons anymore anyway at Michaels..for one thing, our Michaels SUCKS and also they put everything in the store on sale (like a few pennies off) so you can't use your coupon. Our AC Moore will honor michael's coupons. I wonder if they will track them too?

I guess each store is different. By no means does mine put everything on sale. I get my Wilton products there 50% off all the time.

Back to the coupon with the email address... I was actually in my Michaels today (the coupon starts on Sunday, but I had another to use up for this week) and I asked the clerk about it... I had it with me so I showed her. She was really surprised to see it printed with the email address in full view. Her remark was, "WOW, that's personal information being printed right out! I guess it's going to be a way for them to keep people from posting them on the internet." She then added that if it were her, she would turn in the coupon and then insist the clerk black out your info while you watch.

Just an update...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 52

I noticed that it said "a special coupon just for you" or something to that effect. But I didn't notice that it had my email address on it. Interesting!

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #18 of 52

Do you have to sign up to get the coupons from Michael's?? I always seem to get mine from friend or a posted link. I don't know if I like that they are putting your email on the coupon though.....more chances of getting even more spam on my email!!!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I do the same thing...except they told me the baby can't buy something - that's where they 'draw the line'....lol!!! Like it's any different for a 3 yr old who needs a bench scraper??? LOL!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #20 of 52

Michaels arts and crafts store honors Joanne coupons. Get on the email list for Joan' Fabrics.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #21 of 52

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think my email address on a piece of paper that will go directly from my hand to the store is really a huge invasion of privacy. I hope no one thinks that the employees are doing anything with their email addresses icon_sad.gif Whenever someone fills out the email paper at the registers, they go straight into our envelopes (with all the debit/credit card slips, and return forms ((with peoples' home addresses on them)) ) and after they're in the envelopes they get sent to corporate. I can assure you we don't sell your email addresses to any other companies. So, you shouldn't get spam for signing up. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #22 of 52

I didn't get spamed and I had filled out a form last summer at the Michael's store. I just won't give it out now to the other shoppers in the store.

Win Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think my email address on a piece of paper that will go directly from my hand to the store is really a huge invasion of privacy. I hope no one thinks that the employees are doing anything with their email addresses icon_sad.gif Whenever someone fills out the email paper at the registers, they go straight into our envelopes (with all the debit/credit card slips, and return forms ((with peoples' home addresses on them)) ) and after they're in the envelopes they get sent to corporate. I can assure you we don't sell your email addresses to any other companies. So, you shouldn't get spam for signing up. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Please don't take this as controversial. I'm not trying to start anything... I trust that you believe your statement with all your heart and certainly know the majority of people are good, but when the Manager of the store tells me that she would insist that the clerk black out your email address, I trust that she knows more about it than I would ever want to imagine. After all, it's a well known fact that all some people need is your email address to find out who you are, where you live, etc., etc., etc.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #24 of 52

I just checked my coupons from last week that I didn't use and my /email was not included. I will keep an eye out for it. I sure don't like the thought of anything being tracked. I don't even fill out the information for the discount cards at the grocery stores.

A friend forwarded me an email with coupons that she had received from Sonic for a buy one get one free coupon for a burger and a route 44 drink for 99 cents. When I saw her email address I didn't print to use. Otherwise I would have.

My question is what happens to all the coupons once they go to corporate? Do they shred them or trash them? How many horrow stories have we heard about personal information being found in the dumpster? It may be overkill but you have to be so careful with your personal information these days. It doesn't take much for someone to hack into your computer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

[After all, it's a well known fact that all some people need is your email address to find out who you are, where you live, etc., etc., etc.

you don't even need that much.

LONG before Al Gore invented the internet icon_rolleyes.gif , hubby worked in banking. With just a name or phone number, he could find out where someone lived, where they worked, their spouse's name, where the spouse worked, where they had lived in the past 5 or 10 years .... ALL of this info was easily available .... LONG before the internet.

(We had a problem with wrong numbers calling our home at 2:00 a.m. He looked up the phone number in a reverse directory, found the woman's name, found out wher she worked and called her. No internet involved. Just good old fashioned books!)

If you have a landline phone with a listed number, you're easy to find. You dont' have to have a computer for me to find you, as just illustrated in the above example, but swtichboard.com will give me your address and any maps site will lead me directly to your door. Rand McNally publishes map books that will also take me direct to your door. You can buy them at any book store. Town too small to be on a Rand McNally map? No problem! I just stop at any Chamber of Commerce office and they will give me a map of your town, which will take me straight to your door.

It's fun for me to watch people get all paranoid about "oooooh! they can find me wiht the internet!" Darlin' we've been able to find you for DECADES! thumbs_up.gif Someone having my email address is the LEAST of my security worries.

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #26 of 52

I personally never signed up for the emails or coupons. However, I do have framing jobs done there on occasion. From that time on, my email box is never without a coupon. I always print out several and share the wealth. Or, I occasionally get the clerks that consider it okay to make a purchase with a coupon, walk out the door and reenter to do it all over again. Guess it just depends on the staff.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #27 of 52

I noticed that on my coupon as well. I just dropped it in Paint Shop and deleted my email address (just in case). I gathered friends, and we went on MY weekly journey of coupon hopping for my cake addiction icon_smile.gif

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

I do that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #29 of 52

My Michaels is the best. I tell them I want to pay separately and they do it with a coupon for each purchase.

I tried to click on a link for a Michaels coupon (someone posted on another forum, not on cc) and there was a message from Michaels that it exceded the number of viewings and it was no longer available to print.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think my email address on a piece of paper that will go directly from my hand to the store is really a huge invasion of privacy.

Michaels already has your email address if you are recieving coupons in emails. The emails you supplied your email address to get. So I can't see how giving them the coupon with your email address is going to be any different than them having it already.

If you don't like your address being printed on them, contact Michaels and complain. Not at a store level but at a higher level. If they get enough complaints they may take it off there.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it so much. Those of you that use them regular knows how your store handles them. Some are more strict than others when it comes to coupons.

I seriously doubt they are going to do anything to keep track of how many are used by a certain email adress, nor do I think they are going to come out with a do not except a coupon from this email address list.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%