lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, I'm stupid, but I can't get the d### thing open!!! icon_cry.gif

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 16

Very carefully...Ask me how I know!!!You have to go around and gently pry it...

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 16

They are sooooo hard. You have to very gently pry up going around the container. They need to make a twist off lid. I have arthritis and that makes it extra hard.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 16

I use a needlenose pliers and then I transfer the contents of the container to a little container with an easier lid. Michaels has a pack of little containers with lids for a couple dollars...they look like the paint cups in a paint-by-number kit and they'e just the right size.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 16

very slowly, very gently.........by the way, you can buy little plastic containers like discso dust come in that have the screw top at the $ tree in the section with the bath/make up stuff. I guess it's a little travel kit or something? There are 6 of them for a dollar in a little plastic zip up bag

Here's a pic of the kind of container I'm talking about

When I buy my dusts, as soon as I get it opened I put it in one of these!
LL

allcake247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allcake247 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 16

I was watching Susan Carberry's dvd on gumpaste flowers. She uses a bottle top opener. Now why didnt I think of that. I always struggle to get that top opened.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 16

I use a bottle opener very carefully! My counter tops sparkle enough without the dust! icon_biggrin.gif

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 16

Ichris - I share your frustration! (as I'm chuckling at myself). My husband was laughing at me last night when I was trying to open one of the petal dust containers with a bottle opener very s-l-o-w-l-y. He asked me if it had nitro glycerin in it! I agree with suz3 - they should put it in screw off lid containers!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 16

I have to agree with the bottle opener. The one I use has a rounded end. Don't use one the the pointed end, it can punch a whole in the top.

HTH

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I have to agree with the bottle opener. The one I use has a rounded end. Don't use one the the pointed end, it can punch a whole in the top.

HTH

That's the end I use too

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 16

I use a church key (beer bottle opener)

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 16

My teeth....lol. Joking. I just pry the little suckers open until my fingers are bright red. However the bottle opener sounds wonderful. I think I'll use that from now on, never thought of it before. Thanks for the tip!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 16

I used to struggle with opening them too, with my hands, always worrying that it was going to pop open and spill all over me.

Then I saw someone at a DOS open it with a bottle opener...talk about a "DUH" moment!

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:09pm
post #14 of 16

Bottle opener!! That's the trick! icon_razz.gif Thanks ladies, I thought I was the only one with this issue...

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaker2

Ichris - I share your frustration! (as I'm chuckling at myself). My husband was laughing at me last night when I was trying to open one of the petal dust containers with a bottle opener very s-l-o-w-l-y. He asked me if it had nitro glycerin in it! I agree with suz3 - they should put it in screw off lid containers!

Thats funny, I could just ppicture it icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 16

bah, why couldnt i have read this thread earlier...i just opened one with my teeth and prying it with my thumb that is now sore.

bottle opener...check. thanks all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%