Freezing Cake?

Decorating By carolyn1489 Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm by cakesdivine

carolyn1489 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolyn1489 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 3

I was making a cake for my cousin's sweet 16 party...It was scheduled for tomorrow night, so I had already filled, carved and crumb coated and was going to decorate today/tomorrow...My aunt called me today, and the basketball team she cheers for won in playoffs last night, their next game is tomorrow...so she's pushing the party back to Monday night...so my question is, can I just pop the whole thing in the freezer and bring it out on Saturday afternoon to let it thaw, then decorate?...I used Indydebi's buttercream for the filling and icing...I will be covering the cakes in mmf, so I do know that I need to let the cakes thaw completely before covering, but will the cakes and icing be okay in the freezer for a few days?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

2 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 3

Yep, wrap it up in saran wrap and foil and pop in the freezer. HTH

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 3

If it is already iced see if you can box it then wrap the box with Press N Seal only. If you can't box it then wrap it with Press N Seal but make sure the crumb coated icing is refrigerated to firm first before you place any wrap on it, and make sure you remove the wrap immediately from the freezer and that the cake has NOT defrosted or the crumbcoat will come off when you remove the wrap.

Regular Plastic wrap and foil are problematic...the regular plastic wrap may not seal completely and foil can misshape your cake and will most definitely not seal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%