Deposit

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 5:54am by ayerim979

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 20

you need to put a deposit in however this needs to be determined by how busy you are. If you have clients calling you a year ahead trying to book you and the phone is ringing off the hook then go ahead and charge 50 percent down. Honestly if that not that case then 50% is too much. You will scare people off trust me been there done that. We charge 25 percent non refundable and require the cake is paid in full two weeks prior to the event.
Make it a piont to keep up with client even if its just a quick email saying we are excited to make your wedding cake. The fact of the matter is things happen weddings fall through or budgets have to get cut. It happens. Asking a bride to put down half of wedding cake is a lot of money. You can always increase this deposit requirement later if its not working for you. Better to start smaller and increase then the other way around.

19 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 20

Sorry I don't agree. I have never had anyone balk at my deposit requirements. It is the industry standard in most parts of my state, and all the caterers in the area also charge 50% down as well, as do the florists, the dress maker/bridal shop, decor vendor, bartenders if not included in the catering package, and the list of vendors goes on! Oh invitations are generally 100% up front and you wait months to get them.

ShiaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShiaCakes Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachpizano

you need to put a deposit in however this needs to be determined by how busy you are. If you have clients calling you a year ahead trying to book you and the phone is ringing off the hook then go ahead and charge 50 percent down. Honestly if that not that case then 50% is too much. You will scare people off trust me been there done that. We charge 25 percent non refundable and require the cake is paid in full two weeks prior to the event.
Make it a piont to keep up with client even if its just a quick email saying we are excited to make your wedding cake. The fact of the matter is things happen weddings fall through or budgets have to get cut. It happens. Asking a bride to put down half of wedding cake is a lot of money. You can always increase this deposit requirement later if its not working for you. Better to start smaller and increase then the other way around.

Huh?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 20

I charge 50% deposit on all cakes, any size and price point, not just wedding cakes

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I charge 50% deposit on all cakes, any size and price point, not just wedding cakes

Same here.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 20

Heck any cake order under $400 has to pay in full at time they place the order, if it is under $100 then you must place your order from my website and pay through paypal. Over $400 it is $300 down with balance due 2 weeks before event. anything over $600 requires 50% down with balance due 2 weeks before event. No refunds on funds paid in period.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 20

Same here...all the other vendors demand the same and as a coordinator,not only the baker, I deal with many vendors along the line and every single one of them demands 50% up front at time of booking and has an "escape" clause for up to 30 days before the event. Some don't allow that much time. As a coordinator, 25% down at time of booking, 25% 6 mos out (so if the wedding is already only 6 mos out then the booking deposit is 50%). After that they can only get a refund of the second 25% if the wedding is cancelled. This is why I suggest to my clients, and why many places demand, event insurance that includes a cancellation clause. Just smart business.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 20

Sorry rachpizano, but that policy is nuts. Caterers require 25% - 50% down, non-refundable and that's ALWAYS more money than a cake. Brides and other customers do it every day of the week.

ShiaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShiaCakes Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 20

Oh sure, bride, I'll take you word for it. Sure, I'll block off all order for this weekend and lose out on thousands, just on the word that you'll pay. Yeah right. Good luck with that policy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Sorry rachpizano, but that policy is nuts. Caterers require 25% - 50% down, non-refundable and that's ALWAYS more money than a cake. Brides and other customers do it every day of the week.

Agree. As a caterer, I had a 50% down policy and we're talking at least a couple of thousand, non-refundable dollars. Never had a problem. As was mentioned above, it's industry standard.

If you're going to play ball with the big boys, you better have a real bat and ball, and know the rules of the game. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #11 of 20

icon_confused.gif Is this a serious post?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

icon_confused.gif Is this a serious post?

I'm guessing it's in response to another thread somewhere and the OP hit "new post" instead of "reply".

Just guessing 'coz it looks like we came in on the middle of a conversation. icon_confused.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #13 of 20

So...then it's a serious response? icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #14 of 20

I think there's another thread somewhere about deposits, so it must be a real response that was put in the wrong place.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:56am
post #15 of 20

icon_confused.gif Okay then...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:23am
post #16 of 20

In any event, the advice is nuts. I stand by my assessment.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 20

You pay deposits on almost everything these days..not just wedding/cake stuff. And I don't mind the sound of 50% deposit. As a customer I also think of it as protection for me.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #18 of 20

I require a 33% non refundable deposit at the time of order no matter how far in advance of the wedding or event. I am considering 50% because I am getting more and more business so by extension I would be turning away more business once a date is taken.

No deposit, no cake and your date goes to someone else period.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #19 of 20

..moving from Business forum. icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #20 of 20

Me too I read it and I was like "Okay thank you; for feeling very strong about deposits " lol !!!

No offence OP it came out of no where

Edited to correct spelling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%