My Undies Are In A Bundle And They Probably Shouldn't Be....

Decorating By jenmat Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 4:53am by Ruth0209

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #31 of 42

LOL @ Jammjenks- Payback's a Bi%h. lol

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:40am
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

They made it very clear they are treating me as another of their vendors, and it ended with "they'll let me know."

Well, if they're treating you like everyone else - you should treat them like a normal customer (no discount).

As Indydebi advises, if there's even a hint of bridezilla attitude - they get a full cost invoice! (And I think they've demonstrated a definite attitude.)

Don't subject yourself to further stress... And as has been said, if you plan on being "unavailable" to make their cake - you won't have to be subjected to any stress. (Let them enjoy their "bridezilla" experience with someone else.)

HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:19am
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I would definitely be booked when they come back. Tell them someone else put a deposit down the day after you met with them and you can't possibly handle another cake. Then they can be treated like every other customer and pay full price somewhere else icon_smile.gif

Yep. What she said icon_wink.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:32am
post #34 of 42

I totally agree with some of the others on here... if they made it clear that they are treating you just like a vendor, you need to treat them like a regular customer.......full price. The POINT of a discount is because they're family, and family shouldn't be "shopping around" in my opinion.
Tell them you're booked........that'll teach them!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #35 of 42

update to everyone- thanks for all the advice, because after thinking about it a bit more, I sent an email telling them that the two wedding cakes I already have will be enough for that weekend and I'm glad they have so many other options. I bowed out. Yay me!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #36 of 42

Good for you! Family dynamics can so often be difficult--glad you stood up for yourself!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:49pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

I sent an email telling them that the two wedding cakes I already have will be enough for that weekend and I'm glad they have so many other options. I bowed out. Yay me!

You handled this awkward situation very professionally. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #38 of 42

I agree with JanH you handled the situation very professionally. Good for you.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #39 of 42

I'm so glad you didn't lie to them. I am appalled that anyone would suggest that you suddenly get "booked up" when you've already told them you would give them a week to decide. That's not a "little white lie". It's unethical. This passive-aggressive approach to doing business is so unprofessional, and it's disturbing to see it suggested over and over again in these threads.

I think it's totally valid of you to tell them what you did because you honestly are already booked with two weddings ahead of theirs. If you had the feeling they were meeting with you because they felt they had to because of some family obligation, you gave them a graceful "out". Although after looking at your web site, I don't know WHY they'd want anyone else. Your work is exceptional!

People complain all the time here that they're not taken seriously as business people. When some of the stuff I read sounds like what a bunch of junior high girls would do, I'm not surprised. The first rule of being a business professional should be that you ALWAYS treat your customers with integrity and respect, even if it is not always reciprocated.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:39am
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I'm so glad you didn't lie to them. I am appalled that anyone would suggest that you suddenly get "booked up" when you've already told them you would give them a week to decide. That's not a "little white lie". It's unethical. This passive-aggressive approach to doing business is so unprofessional, and it's disturbing to see it suggested over and over again in these threads.

I think it's totally valid of you to tell them what you did because you honestly are already booked with two weddings ahead of theirs. If you had the feeling they were meeting with you because they felt they had to because of some family obligation, you gave them a graceful "out". Although after looking at your web site, I don't know WHY they'd want anyone else. Your work is exceptional!

People complain all the time here that they're not taken seriously as business people. When some of the stuff I read sounds like what a bunch of junior high girls would do, I'm not surprised. The first rule of being a business professional should be that you ALWAYS treat your customers with integrity and respect, even if it is not always reciprocated.

Hear hear! Love this! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:44am
post #41 of 42

Yeah that is kinda rude. If I had a family member that did cakes well I would use them. Sounds like this will be a lot of headache for you if you do make the cake.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #42 of 42

I must be in the minority here, because I don't see why it's rude of this bride to want to be able to pick the cake she wants and not feel obligated to use anyone in particular. Just what makes her a bridezilla because of that? Maybe the bride doesn't need to worry about price. Or, maybe she just doesn't like feeling like she's having an expectation shoved down her throat.

And OP, I'm not referring to you specifically here. I know you weren't trying to coerce her to use you.

And happigolucki35, what if your family member made really ugly cakes? I'll bet you wouldn't be all that happy about feeling like you had to use her. (AGAIN, not jentreu. Your cakes are beautiful).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%