Carved Guitar Cake Help...

Decorating By CakeNurse01 Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 5:43am by mommyle

CakeNurse01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeNurse01 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have a guitar cake and amp to do for this weekend and I'm trying to figure out what sizes to use. They want it to serve 50-60 people, so I was thinking I'd carve the body of the guitar out of a 14x10, and then the neck about 3in wide x 12in long. The amp, I wasn't sure about. Maybe a 9x13 cut in half and stacked? This is my first big carved cake like this, so I'm a bit nervous.

I attached a pic of the guitar that they want. Obviously, it won't be as detailed as this pic being that I'm only an novice, lol. Any suggestions on how to do it? I'm going with fondant which I'm going to tint orange and then I am going to attempt to spray some yellow in the center portions and black on the outer portions. I had planned on handpainting some of the black graffiti with gel color diluted. Do you think this would work? Again, any suggestions would be great! Thanks so very much!
LL

5 replies
CakeNurse01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeNurse01 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

No one has anything to offer? Really?

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

I have no advice for you. But I do wish you luck and hope you post pictures when you are done.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #4 of 6

Wow, that looks like quite a challenge...I would guess a lot of the carving would take away a lot of servings on the guitar part, but you could probably get lots from the amp. pterrell has posted a formula for figuring the number of servings based on dimensions, in some other threads, might help calculate the amp?
I'm afraid I'm not much help. Hope someone with some expertise can help you out!

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #5 of 6

I did a guitar cake and used fondant and cake for the body and rkt covered fondant for the neck . Would use colored fondant and air brush other color and then paint as you suggested. Used fondant and clay gun for the strings. I think your idea about the amp sounds right too. Really sounds like you have it figured out!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #6 of 6

Wow. The shape is throwing me! bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%