S/o Electric Bill Thread: What's Your Thermostat Set On?

Lounge By prterrell Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm by Aliwis000

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 16

What's your thermostat set on?

Winter: 65 during the day, 60 at night
Summer: 75 during the day, 70 at night

15 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 16

This is where we splurge our money..the thermostat. It's on 70 year round.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 16

LOL, I'd love to have it on 65 year round! icon_lol.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 16

winter.....68 when we're home.....60 when we're not during the day and at night. Summer...76 degrees.

We've switched every bulb we could to the new bulbs and added insulation. It's amazing how much those two things have reduced our power bills. The bulbs alone dropped the bill over $30 a month.

Jodie

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 16

62f to 70f for you guys is 18c to 21c for us that are with the metric times

in our house, if its 40c/104f we start thinking about putting the air con on

if its 5c/40f we start thinking of putting the heat on.

we dress accordingly for the weather. in winter its ugg boots and polartec, in summer its tshirts and shorts/cotton skirt or dress

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #6 of 16

We just moved to a much smaller place, so it's interesting to note the differences.

The house we just moved from was one we had built and the efficiency in it was awesome! We'd set the temp on 65-ish, the whole house was warm and the elec bill (house was totally elec) ran in the $200 range. 2-story, 4 BR, 2300 sq ft.

Just moved to a smaller apartment. 5 rooms, 2 baths, single story. We keep the temp on 70-71 (not as well insulated I guess, plus we're opening the patio door a lot more to put the dog in and out ... dang dog has a bladder control issue!) but since it's a smaller place, it's MUCH warmer (sometimes too warm for me) and the bill is much smaller. I'm not going to go by these first couple of billings as an average because it's been much colder than normal since we've moved in.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:13am
post #7 of 16

I keep the heat set on 70 because our pets don't do well if it's any colder. In the summer I keep it set on 73 or 75 (some times of month I just need a colder house so I'm not grouchy).

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:29am
post #8 of 16

I'm usually at home during the day and I keep it on apx 60-65F in the winter and apx 75-80F in the summer. I keep the upstairs blocked off in the winter and keep it set on 55F in the winter up there. The daughter is off at college and we don't use the upstairs when she is gone.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 16

we have a programmable thermostat. I have it set at 62 during the day and at night when we are sleeping. The temp goes up to 65 at 5am and stays there until about 8am, then it goes up to 65 at 5pm and stays until 8pm. I will override it if i'm home all day and its particularly cold.

Summer, its 80 plus during the day, down to 78 when i get home at 2pm, then about 74 after my husband gets home, and starts complaining about why is it so hot in here.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:35am
post #10 of 16

Winter Time
65 during the day
60 at nite 2/floor fan in bedroom under tons of blankets

Summer time
80 During the day
70 At nite (I can NOT sleep if it's hot so I suffer during the day to be comfortable at nite in the summer)

I'd also love it be 65 year round.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 16

My husband controls the thermostat. During the winter it's set at 72. During the summer it's 78. I think.

I can't wait for spring

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 16

ours is programmable as well. It runs 68 during the day in the winter, and 65 at night during the winter. The house is set at 70 during the summer months. We used to alternate temps based on when we were home and not, but the furnace guy told us it was actually costing us MORE to turn down the heat or air when we were gone and vice versa, because everything in the house has to either cool down to 70 or warm up to 68 for the heater to come on or go off. It made sense to us, so now we just drop during the night.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 16

I override my programable and have it at 68F all day; turn it down at night when I go to bed to 60F.
The last few days I have been cold so have turned it up to 70F for a few hours.
I have the basement blocked off. My TV is down there so when I want to watch anything I have a small utility heater that I run. So far my highest bill was for Dec/early Jan and ran around $150. I have a 3 br/2bath/1000sq house not including the basement.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 16

65 and I think it goes to 60 between 10 pm and 6am

we don't have a.c.!!!

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 16

I have to say my thermostat usually readys between 79 and 83 in the winter and I don't even pay attention to it in the summer unless it's very humid out, then the AC goes on. We haven't used our furnace in almost 10 years. We heat with a wood stove. Works great for drying gumpaste decorations quickly.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 16

Thermostat? Whats that? I am only slightly kidding. Because of the economy business is not great for my parents small business. The AC units stay off. Lucky we live in Texas lol. This winter has been cold though icon_smile.gif (dont know how you guys in the north do it). The house has been down to 53 degrees (tile flooring throughout does not help).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%