Wedding Cake Not As Ordered

Decorating By cakedecofun Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 8:36am by JanH

cakedecofun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecofun Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice as to what should be done or if anything should be done. An order was placed for a 4 tier wedding cake and it needed to be delivered by 8:00 am on Saturday Feb 10th for a 1:00pm ceremony. The cake was made, delivered on time but due to their lack of set up at the venue, 30 minutes were wasted. The cake was lovely.

Today, the 20th the mother and father of the bride returned some items and informed that the cake was not the one they ordered. After looking again at the picture, one of the tiers was as ordered but the others weren't. The actual cake that was delivered was a much more detailed cake and would have cost more, and a discount was given on the cake at the time the order was placed. They said every bit of the cake was enjoyed by the guests.

Had they called the morning of the delivery saying the cake design was wrong, it could have easily been corrected. Since they didn't give that opportunity, and they didn't return the cake what would y'all do? They didn't ask for a refund. Since the cake was actually a more expensive design, although not what they ordered should anything be said or done?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

ml

5 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:08am
post #2 of 6

It doesn't matter that the design was more detailed and the cake should have cost more.... you effed up and the cake wasn't what the couple ordered.

Contact the couple and apologize, then ask what you can do to make it right.

You can offer them a free cheesecake for their next party, or a shower cake, or a cash refund, or whatever, but you should at least offer some kind of compensation for your mistake.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:19am
post #3 of 6

i would suggest calling them, and tell them that since the cake wasnt to their specifications that you would like to offer an anniversary cake to the couple, when their first anniversary rolls around.

If they didnt go into a rage and demand their money back etc.. I think they are just wanting to bring the error to your attention and basically dropping the ball in your lap.

offering them a small anniv. cake will probably make it all better.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:23am
post #4 of 6

I'm with Mensch here. Just because the design they recieved would have been more expensive doesn't mean that they should have been happy with the mishap. We all have moments, but this was her wedding day... she had her vision and the cake you delivered wasn't it. More detail isn't always better... I know I wouldn't have wanted an ornate cake for my wedding and wouldn't have been happy if my simple cake didn't show up. Maybe they didn't see the cake until they arrived for the reception? I know I didn't see my cake until we walked in for the reception. Most of the family would be getting ready for the wedding all day and not inspecting things at the reception site.

I would call and appologize and see what can be done to make them happy. They might not want anything, but the gesture will go a long way. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:27am
post #5 of 6

Yep. Call and apologize and offer compensation of some sort.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:36am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecofun

After looking again at the picture, one of the tiers was as ordered but the others weren't.

So they almost got the wedding cake design they wanted...

Don't think 1 out of 3 is even close enough for horseshoes or hand grenades. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Also agree with Mensch.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%