Should I Charge Extra For The Edible Image?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 3:36am by icingimages

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:54am
post #1 of 12

I am hoping to soon be set up for printing edible images....The dilema I am having is should I charge an extra fee if I am printing a full size edible image (8X11) on a regular white 9x13 slab or include it in my current price already.I just increased my prices less than a year ago and I'm afraid If I state that the edible image is x amount of dollars more than the cake they will be upset yet I am trying to make money and pay for the printer so I can't just include it for free.

What would you do? How do I word it on my site?

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 12

I charge 8.00 to each cake , because that's what I have to pay if I buy one anywhere. Charge they charge it EVERYWHERE else if sold seperately.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 12

If I was selling, I would definitely charge more for the edible image. The edible paper and ink are not cheap! If you are able to buy wholesale, they might be a little cheaper, but I have an Epson and the ink cartridges and a pack of edible paper costs me $110.00! That comes out to approx. $4.60 per page!

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #4 of 12

Yeah..I know they do...The grocery stores charge between $10.00-$15.00 and another cake shop here in the city charges $24.00 as a friend of mine wanted a Star Wars image printed and that's what they charged her... icon_eek.gif

I think I may add $10.00 extra as that is what they would charge me to have one made.... icon_wink.gif

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 12

I think $10 sounds more than fair. It takes your time to either scan or find an image on line, get it sized the way you want it and print.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:52am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

... and I'm afraid If I state that the edible image is x amount of dollars more than the cake they will be upset...

(big sigh! and with a little tongue-in-cheek). Stop wringing your hands and "worrying" that people will "be upset" .... that they wont' "like you" ... that they'll think you're a big 'ole "meany".

It's not personal. It's business. And this is what it costs.

See the above post where Price ran the numbers. There is a COST involved in providing ABOVE AND BEYOND a regular cake. There is nothing wrong with charging and being compensated for it.

If people "get upset", they are welcome to go buy the printer and the cartridge and the paper and make one themselves.

Or they can hand you the ten or fifteen bucks for it and be done with it.

thumbs_up.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 12

I think she's worrying that she may lose the sale if her prices are too high -- one important component of the whole pricing issue. She wants to price her cakes high enough to make a nice profit but still get sales. It's not much of a business if you never get an order. And on the flip side it's not much of a business if you get tons of orders and no profit. It sounds to me that she is trying to be somewhere right in the middle.

BTW: I think you should charge for the edible image. $10 sounds very reasonable.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 12

I charge $10 extra for the image. Besides the materials, there is a time factor involved in playing around with it to get it right etc.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 12

They pay for your oven, and utilities to bake the cake don't they? Why NOT charge them to pay for printer.

Mike

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 12

About 2 years ago, I did an informal survey at one of my workshops. People upcharged anywhere from $6-$23. Everyone yelled at the one who was charging 6 and wondered how they could get $23!!!!. I sell on my website for the image ONLY, $13 for 8x11 on up to $21 when I do the large sheet. Plus they pay $5.00 for handling. You are adding something to the cake, so you charge something. If they choose not to have the image, then they dont have to pay the extra. Remember you are in business to make a profit, your cakes and your service and the quality of the work and the things you offer will keep them coming back. You are charging them for another product you are offering, you are not uping the price.icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks Deb..Did you get my PM?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #12 of 12

Yes, I just responded a few minutes ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%