What Does Wasc Taste Like? Anything Like Vanilla?

Decorating By kirs1019 Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 4:20am by sadsmile

kirs1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirs1019 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 13

And is it still a problem for people with nut allergies?

Thanks!

Kirsten

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 13

I'm sorry to see the reply you got must be from someone who does not like cakes made with a mix icon_sad.gif Each to their own opinion I guess.
My *original* WASC cake recipe give one a moist, flavorful cake - depends on what flavor mix you start with.
Yes, using a white mix you get a nice vanilla flavored cake.
As for nut allergies, read the pkg for that info. You are adding flavoring, sour cream, flour and sugar. Let the person w/the allergy decide if they can eat it or not.
Some have left out the almond flavoring - that's fine too, you still will get a wonderful tasting cake icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 13

I have tasted WASC, and it was before I knew it was from a mix (the person told me it was home made), so no, I had no opinion of it before I tasted it. I thought it tasted like gummy shite.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 13

To be accurate, kakeladi said you did not like cakes made with mixes, NOT that you were biased against the cake before tasting it.

Unless the specific WASC you had was poorly made, it probably is true that you don't like cakes made with mixes. Many people have a different opinion.

I have had cakes from a mix that had a delicate crumb and were moist and delicious, and I have had others that were gummy or had an off taste. Likewise, I have had scratch cakes that were wonderful and others that were dry or bad tasting.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 13

please tell me, what gummy shite is? never heard this phrase before???

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 13

I use the WASC anytime I need a stable large scale cake recipe for stacked tiers. I don't usually like the flavor of boxed cake mixes but the WASC recipe does not taste like anything but scratch.

Unlike scratch, the box base makes it exceptionally stable. I've had issues with scratch cakes changing consistency with the freeze-thaw-room temp decorate-fridge cycle prior to serving.

I have a cook who works for me that it biased against boxed mixes and he was floored when I gave him the recipe for the cake he enjoyed so much. I had used WASC with scratch lemon curd filling and SMBC icing.

I don't know if it is OK for folks with nut allergies, guess that would depend on what the boxed mix says. And I wouldn't use almond extract just to be safe.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #7 of 13

To understand what gummy shite is you just have to delete the "e" from shiteicon_smile.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 13

To answer one of the specific questions, YES, you can't use almond extract if you have a tree nut allergy. I would also suggest not using artificial almond, but mostly because anyone with a tree nut allergy isn't going to eat it, whether or not you swear on a stack of Bibles it's artificial. I have a tree nut allergy, and would avoid anything that smelled of almonds. Of course, I am careful about eating anything I didn't make anyway.

I make the recipe all the time, and use vanilla.

Jodie

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #9 of 13

I really like the wasc recipe. If you want a really vanilla flavor, just use vanilla in place of the almond. And I agree with the pp, don't use almond if you're trying to avoid some sort of allergy. Enjoy!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 13

I love the wasc recipe, I've made it with just vanilla extract, with vanilla and almond extract and also with princess bouquet.It was fabulous, everyone loved it. There is a gourmet thread that lists all the variations(so far) that people have come up with using different extracts and flavorings to the wasc recipe.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #11 of 13

ok? delete the e from shite. now i understand. sad, isn,t it?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #12 of 13

I don't think that wasc tastes like a scratch cake, but that is my own personal opinion. I could tell it was based on a mix when I tasted it, but that is neither here nor there since some love mix cakes and that is their own personal tastes and none of my business. icon_smile.gif

Also... I make monstro stacked cakes with scratch cakes all the time, so you don't have to use a mix to make a successful, stable stacked cake. And I only say this so that someone reading doesn't think that all scratch cakes are a poor choice for a stacked cake.

Many love the WASC cake... only you will be able to decide for yourself. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:20am
post #13 of 13

Oh hey there is another spin on this... you can make a basic white cake from scratch and then add to it what you would to the WASC... there ya go a from scratch WASC.

On the box vrs scratch I am starting to understand the oil vrs moisture and the faux flavors... it does make a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%