Pasteurized Eggs

Decorating By Rylan Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm by CakesByLJ

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:11am
post #1 of 7

I wanted to make a couple of gumpaste recipes requiring pasteurized eggs (Fran's and Edna/Nic Lodge's). I tried looking for pasteurized eggs around my area and could not find any. The only place that sells them only sells to businesses. I really wanted to try these recipes and would like to get some input. Thanks!

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 7

I just use regular eggs, works fine.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 7

I'm pretty sure in the US all eggs are pasturized. That is unless your buying right from thr farm. There are strict laws concerning egg production.

Mike

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7

Eggs aren't pasteurized unless it says so on the carton. http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educators/competencies/general/foodprocessing/processing2.html

I just checked the generics in my fridge and they don't say anything about pasteurization. I have seen pasteurized eggs at the grocery store here.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for the replies. I'm just very paranoid over things.

Anyways, I bought these real egg whites in a plastic container from Whole Foods. I was wondering if that is okay to use to make Nic Lodge's gumpaste. Will it work fine?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 7

Rylan... I always just use regular eggs to make Nick's recipe. I use my gumpaste for flowers mostly, that are wired, and they never get eaten. Nick uses regular eggs, but you could always use the pasteurized ones if you are worried about it. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%