Suggested Wedding Cake Recipe For Large Tiers

Baking By ashleyj Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm by ashleyj

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 7

I am overwhelmed w/recipes. What is the best made from scratch recipe to use for wedding cakes? 14x10x9. (yellow or white, I don't care) I like the WASC recipe but it's sticky and kind of difficult to work with larger tiers. I need a recipe that's more stable for stacking but still moist/dense. Any suggestions?
Thank You

6 replies
jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 7

There is a cake mix extender recipe on this site that I've used on a 16x4 inch tier. Loved it! Easy to work with. The important part for me was to let the cake cool completely and even chill it for a while. Worked like a charm.
Here's the recipe.

Rating: 8.9/10 (143 votes cast)
Ive used this for any cake flavour. The result is a terrific , moist and dense cake that is easy to frost and decorate. Tastes like scratch cakes. I get rave reviews everytime I make a cake. Ive used it for other 18″ or slab cake pans. All I do is make 2 mixes instead of the one. I make each mix individually and then stir them together in a large bowl prior to pouring in the pan.

Cake Mix extender
Ingredients
Prepare cake mix as per package directions. In addition to this add,
1 egg
1 cup flour
250 ml (or 8 oz.) sour cream or yogurt (I prefer to use low fat yogurt)
1 cup white sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring

Instructions
Bake as per pkg. directions

Fat content will vary depending on whether or not you use full fat sour cream or yogurt. Ive used them all including low fat sour cream, yogurt etc. and the results are great each and every time.

ashleyj Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your response. I think I've seen this recipe before but was really looking for a scratch mix. Do you happen to know how many cups of batter this will make? I may end up having to go this route.

jhay Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 7

This one makes about 7 cups...give or take.

jhay Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 7

This one makes about 7 cups...give or take.

I understand completely about the scratch mix. That's just a crap load of measuring. When my cakes are that big, I don't want to deal with it.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:28am
post #6 of 7

Did you use this recipe, if so how did u like it?

ashleyj Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, I've actually used this recipe before and it's very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%