Help!! Red Icing

Decorating By melissa38 Updated 28 Aug 2005 , 10:17am by vitade

melissa38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa38 Posted 27 Aug 2005 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I know this has been a topic before, but I can't get my red icing to be the color red I want. Bride wants bright red (candy apple red) roses on cake. Will the red get darker as it sits. I used almost a whole small jar of Wilton Christmas red, I even had some Winnie the Pooh red that I added too!! icon_cry.gif I'm getting soooooo frustrated!! Please Help!

3 replies
JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 27 Aug 2005 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 4

It will definitely darken...I wouldn't add any more color right now, if I were you. What I do is cover it and put it in the fridge for at least a couple of hours...overnight is even better if you have time. And even after you take it out of the fridge and decorate your cake, it can still darken even a little more. Whenever I've needed Red or black icing, I usually make it a couple of days in advance and let it sit in the fridge...that way I'm less likely to add so much coloring that it changes the taste and texture of the cake. One time I added so much red to bc that it eventually broke down and separated!! yuck!

Hope that helps... icon_smile.gif

melissa38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa38 Posted 27 Aug 2005 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! I've made one batch of stiff to make the base of the rose and was going to make another batch (medium) for the petals. I'm thinking it will be ok to do it that way becase the base will be covered with the petals......right?? Hopefully I didn't add to much red for the base. Thanks again for your help. Ya'll are great!!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 10:17am
post #4 of 4

If you start with a nice pink color and then add red, it sometimes help too. It takes alot of red coloring if start with white to make a good deep red.

Rose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%