Help With Cake

Baking By BlkHawkMom Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 3:41am by catlharper

BlkHawkMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlkHawkMom Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 4

I'm needing to make a few cakes. I like the recipe that I have for the cake but it's a plain white cake and I'm wanting to add flavor. Someone told me the other night at school if I want like a lemon cake use the same recipe but add a box of dry lemon pudding mix and a little lemon extract. My question is do I need to buy instant pudding mix or the pudding mix you have to cook? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

3 replies
MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkHawkMom

I'm needing to make a few cakes. I like the recipe that I have for the cake but it's a plain white cake and I'm wanting to add flavor. Someone told me the other night at school if I want like a lemon cake use the same recipe but add a box of dry lemon pudding mix and a little lemon extract. My question is do I need to buy instant pudding mix or the pudding mix you have to cook? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think it is instant- though i have never done it. Often adding soda (like a lemon lime --light sodas for light colord cakes, dark sodas for dark colord cakes) will work with the flavoring. Just add that instead of whatever water or liquid is called for- ((usually!)) but I do suggest that this is just a trial an error thing.

Lemon zest works wonders!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #3 of 4

For citrus flavors, add zest and either real juice or extracts in place of vanilla extract.

If you want chocolate, pull out an equal amount of flour as you put in cocoa powder. For instance, recipe calls for 2 c flour. Use 1 1/2 c flour and 1/2 c cocoa.

Paul

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #4 of 4

It's the instant pudding mix, tho' don't get the sugar free..it may leave a bad after taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%