Newbie Help!! Need Your Tips Please

Decorating By allkidzmom1 Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm by allkidzmom1

allkidzmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allkidzmom1 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 11

I am in need to tips to writting on a cake. I tried to do it with a tooth pick first and then use my #1 tip, but my writing with the toothpick did not work. I have very good writting on paper, but on a cake it leaves alot of be desired. Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!!

10 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 11

Be sure to add a little piping gel into your frosting so it's smoother and comes through your tip easily. Put down a piece of waxed paper and just practice writing on it. By using the waxed paper you can scrape off your practice writing and put the frosting right back into your bowl. And practice until you feel comfortable you've gotten it the way you like. You can use larger tips too if you want the writing to be a bit bolder and/or have a large space you're writing in.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 11

I have occasionally made my own stencils using index paper, placed it on my cake filled it in. Removed it and tah-dah. Instant perfect letters. My hand tends to get a little to shaky when writing letter on cakes. Especially when doing caligraphy. icon_wink.gif

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 11

Well tip #1 is a little hard to use when writing (at least for me). A larger tip like 3 or 4 would be a little easier to pipe with. You can use stencils but it just takes practice. It helps that you naturally have nice writing. In the beginning I found myself correcting my writing a lot. I would just use toothpicks to remove frosting and redo my writing.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 11

Use a larger tip (3 or 4).

Practice on sheets of wax paper.

Writing using a piping bag is different than writing with a pen. Don't try to go super slow. Also, you need to move your entire arm, not just your wrist.

pamfleagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamfleagle Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 11

Hi ... I also only use the #3 or #4 tip for writing. The #1 tip is too thin for writing on the cake, and will leave squiggles and breaks in the lettering. If I have a lot of words to write on a cake, I will take a piece of wax paper or paper towel the same width of the cake to pipe the letters on first, just to be sure of my spacing - it's much easier to practice on something instead of scraping off and starting again.

I also only put a small amount of icing in the bag to write - I find that if there's too much icing in the bag, my handwriting is sloppier.

If you are printing letters, for a fun way to "jazz" up the letters, you can add dots on the end of the lines. it'll hide any imperfections and make the letting look fun! Good luck ... and remember, practice, practice, practice!! icon_wink.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 11

Your BC must me smooth, thinned and have very few air bubbles.

watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQsswBC6yzc&feature=related

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxe0NFburo&feature=response_watch

allkidzmom1 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you so much for the tips!! My project tonight is to practice, practice, practice.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 11

I sometimes use little fondant letter cutters and fondant.

Sometimes my writing is good on cakes, and sometimes it is terrible... I don't write neatly on paper, so cheap fondant has become more common for me.

Sad... I know.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by allkidzmom1

Thank you so much for the tips!! My project tonight is to practice, practice, practice.

I remember, especially when we were taking the Wilton classes and I just couldn't get something right. I'd set up a time to practice, start out frustrated because I just wasn't get the results I wanted, then all of a sudden, there it was. Just like that, and it always felt so great that there was never a time when I wondered whether to practice or not again.

Have fun, that revelation point is exhilerating, and very motivating.

allkidzmom1 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the suggestions and the you tube videos. I appreciate all the help.

I am so consumed in cake decorating right now, even when I put toothpaste on my toothbrush I am thinking of decorating a cake. Silly, I know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%