"love" Literally Baked Into The Cake!

Decorating By adree313 Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm by chikadodle

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:07am
post #1 of 25

Did anyone else see this on CakeWrecks yesterday?

http://confectionsofamasterbaker.blogspot.com/2010/02/ps-i-cake-you.html

I think it's awesome! I kind of want to do one, but I don't know if I could pull off all that fancy baking icon_lol.gif

24 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #2 of 25

I saw that, it did look really cool. It would be dry as anything, though, that type of batter is pretty dry unless it has a lot of fillings involved. The technique is neat, though.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 25

I just now read her tutorial. Lots of work but cool technique. She said she likes to line the outer edge of the pan with it and then fill it with mousse and freeze it. Would take care of the dryness that way.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 25

That was VERY cool. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:57am
post #5 of 25

What is that about? I cannot open it in my host country and I am very curious. Could someone explain please?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:02am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

What is that about? I cannot open it in my host country and I am very curious. Could someone explain please?

http:// confections ofamasterbaker. blogspot.com /2010/02/ps i-cake -you. html

Ursula - i have posted a different link to the same thing...
Copy and paste into your browser - then take out the gaps i have added.
Hopefully that will work for you.

Bluehue

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:19am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Did anyone else see this on CakeWrecks yesterday?

http://confectionsofamasterbaker.blogspot.com/2010/02/ps-i-cake-you.html

I think it's awesome! I kind of want to do one, but I don't know if I could pull off all that fancy baking icon_lol.gif

Actually pretty simple. The assembly isn't that hard.

Cool cake icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Ursula40 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:08am
post #8 of 25

It won't work because this country has blocked all blogs, so if someone could just shortly tell me what this is, I would be really gratefull

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 25

The baker piped words onto a silpat in a sheet pan using one kind of batter, froze it, then covered it with sponge cake batter. When it was baked, the words were visible and intact. She then used this thin sponge cake to line a round pan and filled the center with mousse. HTH!
LL

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 25

Here is another cute idea for a "heart" inside the cake.

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/02/heart-cake-tutorial.html

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 25

thats cool!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 25

Cool idea!! icon_smile.gif

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #13 of 25

That is too cool!!!

Ursula40 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #14 of 25

Oh Wow, THANK YOU, this is awesome.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:11pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

The baker piped words onto a silpat in a sheet pan using one kind of batter, froze it, then covered it with sponge cake batter. When it was baked, the words were visible and intact. She then used this thin sponge cake to line a round pan and filled the center with mousse. HTH!

Okay I have a question: I got how the batter was piped onto a silpat and frozen. But the "love" word is on the side of the cake -- did they remove the frozen batter from the silpat and stick it onto the side of the cake pan, then fill with the remainder of the batter? Or am I missing something here?

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 25

Wilton makes a heart pan. I have it and it works very well.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #17 of 25

The love was frozen. Then another batter was made and poured over the top of the design in a really thin layer and baked. That thin layer was placed around the edge of a pan and the author suggested filling it with a mousse and freezing. So my understanding is the decorative layer with love is a thin "cake" layer around the edge with a different filling inside. The author gives really good instructions with pictures and recipes if you go to the link posted above.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 25

Yeah I'm going to have to go back and look at that, I still can't get it in my head how this was done. I'm thinking if you pipe on a Silpat, that's horizontal. But in the cake it's vertical, which means it would have to be removed from the silpat, stuck to the side of the cake pan and subsequently filled with a contrasting color batter (because you're not going to put the silpat into the cake pan and bake it!) Is that right or am I still missing something?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:41pm
post #19 of 25

The message was piped on a Silpat, then batter was poured over the frozen message IN A JELLY ROLL PAN. So, the cake is actually a flat roulade type cake.

The flat baked cake was then wrapped around the inside of a cake pan, like a pan liner, leaving a hollow center, which was filled with mousse.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #20 of 25

OKAY I got it now!! icon_lol.gif For some reason I kept thinking it was baked in a round pan and I just could NOT wrap my brain around the concept!! Thanks for clearing that up!! icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #21 of 25

Yeah you're missing it cause you are still thinking bake in the pan.

She squirted out the design on a silpat and then used plain batter to fill in the rest of the area and baked it like a large flat cookie. It's a special sponge or something that is flexible and durable. She then removed the cake from the silpat very carefully by flipping it upside down and pealing off the silpat slowly. She then cut the super thin sheet cake into large ribbon like strips and lined her cake pan with those matching up the pattern at the seams. She filled with a layer of cooked cake cut to fit and then filled with a mouse and other stuff and let it set up in the fridge or freezer, decorated and took it out of the pan. The I love You cake part is now the exterior of the cake you see with no frosting on it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm
post #22 of 25

Exactly. The way she has the cake wrapped makes it look like it was baked in a round pan, and that's what threw me. Got it!! icon_biggrin.gif

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:49pm
post #23 of 25

Baking designs into the sides of cake is actually a really simple process. It's used all the time in European bakeries. Usually it is a band of thin sponge decorated which has a striped or dotted design which lines a cake ring then the entire thing is filled with a mousse or bavarian. It's a standard technique taught in pastry schools and used in fancy-pants hotels. Looks impressive but is actually super-duper simple and easy to mass produce.

Compared to the work I see here on CakeCentral, it's really an easy thing to do! Gumpaste flowers -- now those are impressive!
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikadodle

Baking designs into the sides of cake is actually a really simple process. It's used all the time in European bakeries. Usually it is a band of thin sponge decorated which has a striped or dotted design which lines a cake ring then the entire thing is filled with a mousse or bavarian. It's a standard technique taught in pastry schools and used in fancy-pants hotels. Looks impressive but is actually super-duper simple and easy to mass produce.

Compared to the work I see here on CakeCentral, it's really an easy thing to do! Gumpaste flowers -- now those are impressive!

Good point!! Here in America we use chocolate transfer sheets for the same process!! icon_biggrin.gif

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Good point!! Here in America we use chocolate transfer sheets for the same process!!

Exactly! And FBCT, same idea. Like I said, looks impressive, but really ridiculously simple.

I've worked at quite a few hotels where we did literally thousands of those transfers in a week. Could I do thousands of gumpaste roses? No way Jose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%