No Fanci Foil. Can I Wrap A Board In Regular Foil?

Decorating By tsal Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm by pattycakesnj

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:11am
post #1 of 18

I have no fanci foil and need to cut one of my boards to support the wine bottle tier on my wine-bottle cake. Can I wrap it in regular aluminum foil or is there something better?

The only place to get boards is 3 towns over and I'll be working on this cake all day as it is and won't have time.

Thanks.

17 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:33am
post #2 of 18

ummm.. if you have anything else use that... do you have clear contact and some nice paper? i did my last board with normal foil coz i had nothing else... annnd epic fail. lol. it ripped evrywhere and sent me insane. i ended up having to carefully rip it off around the cake because it just looked so awfull, and the cake was too heavy to lift.. so when we cut it we had to take foil offf the bottom of the cake. =/

never mind the fact i ended up showing the cake on a board that has seen much better days.. ripped and such. made the cake look like crap. =( check it out in my photos.. the book one.. haha. you dont want it to end up like that. =(

good luck! i have found that contact and pretty paper works well! i you spill anything (icing etc) wipes right off.. and is hard to rip!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:40am
post #3 of 18

oh please please dont use regular aluminum foil. If you have a food safe hidden cake board/card board that is under your piece you can use premium wrapping paper or anything for that matter. The kind that has a bit of shine to it. Some call it foiled wrapping paper. You could even check out the local Target for that.
I've done the clear contact over wrapping paper that wasnt premium that worked nicely too.
Also white freezer paper with a nice ribbon edge....that will do in a pinch. Its strong enough.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 18

Oh man. Now I'm stressed a little. If I cut a board that is already covered in fanci foil and leave the edges raw, is that okay? It's a teeny tiny board.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 18

Does the board have to be cut? The board doesn't have to be the shape of the cake.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 18

I always use regular aluminum foil and have had no trouble apart from slight ripping when the cake is served!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 18

Aluminum foil makes an ugly board. If you have to, go ahead. Press down on top of it and smooth it as best you can. Wrape the edge in ribbon.

CC22504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CC22504 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 18

oh please no aluminum foil. I only did that when I was taking a wilton class but rather than that..it's just plan ugly thumbsdown.gif . Hey, do you have a dollar general or family dollar in your area? Just buy some wrapping paper and use that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 18

I agree with the above. Nothing makes a great cake look worse than putting it on a board covered with regular aluminum foil. It just makes the cake look cheap-a$$.

wrightway777 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:45am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Does the board have to be cut? The board doesn't have to be the shape of the cake.

I love to use the widest thickness (1/2 inch) of foamboard to put all cakes on...regardless of how many tiers. IMO ranking right up there with covering a cakeboard with aluminum foil is seeing a nice paper wrapped around a tiny width foamboard or cardboard....arg w/the exception of a free family/friend cake. I do cut it in different shapes depending on the bottom tier of the cake or how wide a 3D cake is. There is no hard and fast rule to make the board the same shape of the cake. So dont worry, Kerry Vincent wont show at your next delivered Birthday cake to spank your hand with a ruler.
So yes, I will admit I have made a square board many times for a rounded cake. Now if its for a Wedding....yes I would say the elegance of the continued shape would be a must IMHO along with it being finished off with a ribbon.

Heres a great site that has the foil paper* 20" x 50' yep I wrote that right 20" x 50', and yes the price is shocking too $6.00...makes you want to buy one of every color (tip: colors to start out with: silver, white, gold, black IMO and then I branch out and have at least a pink, blue and green):
http://www.acbcproducts.com/cake_ruffle_foil_roll.htm
(ignore the cake ruffle.....blah...scroll down on the site page for the foil)

*disclaimer for all newbies: make sure you have a food safe cardboard (hidden) between the foil and the cake. Tip: I like to use heavy duty double stick carpet tape b/w the cardboard and the foil and yes, I do run a sharpened dowel for stacked tiers down into the foamboard.

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I love to use the widest thickness (1/2 inch) of foamboard to put all cakes on...regardless of how many tiers. IMO ranking right up there with covering a cakeboard with aluminum foil is seeing a nice paper wrapped around a tiny width foamboard or cardboard....arg w/the exception of a free family/friend cake. I do cut it in different shapes depending on the bottom tier of the cake or how wide a 3D cake is. There is no hard and fast rule to make the board the same shape of the cake. So dont worry, Kerry Vincent wont show at your next delivered Birthday cake to spank your hand with a ruler.
So yes, I will admit I have made a square board many times for a rounded cake. Now if its for a Wedding....yes I would say the elegance of the continued shape would be a must IMHO along with it being finished off with a ribbon.

Heres a great site that has the foil paper* 20" x 50' yep I wrote that right 20" x 50', and yes the price is shocking too $6.00...makes you want to buy one of every color (tip: colors to start out with: silver, white, gold, black IMO and then I branch out and have at least a pink, blue and green):
http://www.acbcproducts.com/cake_ruffle_foil_roll.htm
(ignore the cake ruffle.....blah...scroll down on the site page for the foil)

*disclaimer for all newbies: make sure you have a food safe cardboard (hidden) between the foil and the cake. Tip: I like to use heavy duty double stick carpet tape b/w the cardboard and the foil and yes, I do run a sharpened dowel for stacked tiers down into the foamboard.

Do you know how much they charge for shipping?

wrightway777 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #12 of 18

not off the top of my head, but its cheaper to get to you than me (you = LA, I'm GA) they are in CA. Call them tomorrow and check (909) 920-5805 or you can e-mail them at [email protected]

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #13 of 18

thanks !

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:47am
post #14 of 18

You could also cover the board with fondant if you have any then put a ribbon aroung=d the edge.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 18

Do you have a dollar store nearby or a grocery store? Buy a coordinating colored plastic table cloth. They are food safe and great to use as cake board covers.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 18

I used aluminum foil for one of my first cakes and it ripped when I got the cake and chunks of it actually stuck in the cake. I have used wrapping paper or scrapbooking paper with a nice ribbon edging that I attach with hot glue.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 18

This may not be the best looking thing to do, but I've done it a couple times and it works okay for me...

I take regular construction paper (or scrapbooking paper... whatever), wrap it around the board (you know, the whole "cut tons of little slits in the paper, bend underneath, and tape" thing), then I cover that in really tight plastic wrap (wrapped around the bottom and taped). If you've wrapped neatly, you don't need a ribbon. But, ribbon would be helpful (I just never have any) so you didn't have to do it AS neatly.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #18 of 18

you could also cover the board in melted candy melts, obviously they are food safe and if you have a coordinating color, it will look very nice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%