Cricut Poll: What To Do

Decorating By devorie Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 3:28am by BACI

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:48pm
post #31 of 33

Like many on here, the Big Lots ad has caught my attention. The price of the Create is what has caught my attention. $ 99 vs. $ 229 is an attractive option.

From what I can tell, there are 4 versions:
1) Personal Electronic Cutter (original) - smallest cutting surface, stand alone
2) Create - larger cutting surface than personal
3) Expression - larger cutting surface than 1 & 2 with flexibility of connecting to a personal computer
4) Cake (not yet out) - perhaps an excellent example of effective target marketing

It sounds like many have the Expression and one of the best features of it is you can use other software to design your own images, negating the need to buy multiple cartridges (considering investment costs).

Do you have the Create?
Details of the Create on the cricut site do not specifically say this version can be connected for use with a computer. Does anyone know the answer to this specific question? (I did contact their support email but am hoping for a faster response on CC)

Thank you!

PS- The Big Lots ad says cartridges are $ 30 and selection varies by store

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:33pm
post #32 of 33

I have the personal electronic cutter. You can use SCAL or MTC software. I have the MTC because I thought it looked easier to use. I am happy with my choice. So, the answer is yes you can use it with the software. You have to buy your usb cable and in the instructions there is no information on how to use with your computer. But, all you do is install your software and plug it in. The drivers download automatically. Super easy to use.

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:28am
post #33 of 33

Oh well... so much for the Big Lots opportunity! I was able to try several stores in 2 states & no one had it. One store told me they only had 3 available to start out with. icon_rolleyes.gif
Anyone have any better luck?

Also, I did get a response from ProvoCraft - basically gave me sizes as people here have previously stated & identified what each can cut - but COMPLETELY made a point to say that the others are NOT food safe. Pointed out that the components in the Cake that touch the gumpaste etc. are food safe.
As a hobby baker - Still don't know if that cost is worth it. Guess I'll just keep playing & creating with fairly new my edible image printer! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%