Marshmallow Vs. Regular Fondant

Decorating By wilsonar Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 10:54am by mahal50881

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #31 of 45

Forgot to say that the folks at Fondarific were VERY nice! I love their colors and flavors.

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #32 of 45

Looking for some help or advice. I made Rhonda's MMF recipe this weekend and it tasted wonderful. But the problem I had is that it was really hard to roll out. I am use to using SI and rolling very thin. Did I do something wrong with the recipe? I followed it step by step and even colored the mallow before I added the sugar for even color. I had what looked like pits or small holes and it was very stretchy and tearing in a few places. Again am I missing a step here?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #33 of 45

Thanks Macsmom for site - I will definetly try that out. Did you mention powdered food coloring for black? Oh my goodness I am wearing a big "Duh" on my forehead! I've been using SI for black and red or if I had to make it myself I would use black and violet (the usual pastes)...but powdered color.....oh I've got to try that too now!
So when are you writing a book? Btw did you ever get your caramel filling (on your cool link) figured out to your liking?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:26am
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Thanks Macsmom for site - I will definetly try that out. Did you mention powdered food coloring for black? Oh my goodness I am wearing a big "Duh" on my forehead! I've been using SI for black and red or if I had to make it myself I would use black and violet (the usual pastes)...but powdered color.....oh I've got to try that too now!
So when are you writing a book? Btw did you ever get your caramel filling (on your cool link) figured out to your liking?

I gave up on my caramel recipe - I am going to try cooking sweetened condensed milk in the microwave next time caramel is requested.

wilsonar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilsonar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #35 of 45

Would there be a huge difference in the outcome of MMF using jet-puffed marshmallows? I used those the first time I made MMF and had to double the amount I put into the recipe just to get something that was close to the consistency of fondant. Even having put in 2x what was called for in the recipe the MMF was really dry the next day when I went to put it on my cake...

Is this because of the jet-puffed marshmallows? I could only find jet-puffed or grocery store brand around here.

wrightway777 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I gave up on my caramel recipe - I am going to try cooking sweetened condensed milk in the microwave next time caramel is requested.

In effort to look for an interesting thing to take to the ICES GA chapter DOS and thinking about your caramel quandary....I just ran across this and it sounds divine. Not to mention this blog is heaven and I instantly thought to tell you about it!

Carmelized Buttercream sounds like a dream!
http://www.mytartelette.com/2008/11/daring-bakers-caramel-cake-and-soft.html

Oh one note: in her blog she uses rubbing alcohol for her bubble caramel...I think I figured out her dilemma working with it. If you try it - Use Everclear (its high alcohol content I'm sure would match her Uncle's Moonshine) and it would elevate it to being edible and make anyone who tried it look like a sugar goddess! icon_wink.gif

wrightway777 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonar

Would there be a huge difference in the outcome of MMF using jet-puffed marshmallows? I used those the first time I made MMF and had to double the amount I put into the recipe just to get something that was close to the consistency of fondant. Even having put in 2x what was called for in the recipe the MMF was really dry the next day when I went to put it on my cake...

Is this because of the jet-puffed marshmallows? I could only find jet-puffed or grocery store brand around here.

With an assumption that it was wrapped properly and that your kitchen is not very cold/dry:
I am going to guess your ratio of product was off - one bag is 10.5oz when the recipe needs 16 oz...so your ratio of PS to marshmallows is off (just on assumption that you "may" not have weighed out that ingredient). Plus, this varied recipe is fine with grocery store brand marshmallows...but not jet puffed.

This old recipe uses jet puffed but I find its "just ok"
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

You may try to salvage it by working in a little more glycerin

MacsMom Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #38 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

With an assumption that it was wrapped properly and that your kitchen is not very cold/dry:
I am going to guess your ratio of product was off - one bag is 10.5oz when the recipe needs 16 oz...so your ratio of PS to marshmallows is off (just on assumption that you "may" not have weighed out that ingredient). Plus, this varied recipe is fine with grocery store brand marshmallows...but not jet puffed.

This old recipe uses jet puffed but I find its "just ok"
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

You may try to salvage it by working in a little more glycerin

Was it dry after a quick zap in the microwave to soften it?

MacsMom Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #39 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

In effort to look for an interesting thing to take to the ICES GA chapter DOS and thinking about your caramel quandary....I just ran across this and it sounds divine. Not to mention this blog is heaven and I instantly thought to tell you about it!
Carmelized Buttercream sounds like a dream!
http://www.mytartelette.com/2008/11/daring-bakers-caramel-cake-and-soft.html
Oh one note: in her blog she uses rubbing alcohol for her bubble caramel...I think I figured out her dilemma working with it. If you try it - Use Everclear (its high alcohol content I'm sure would match her Uncle's Moonshine) and it would elevate it to being edible and make anyone who tried it look like a sugar goddess! icon_wink.gif

Neat blog! I use the caramel in a turtle cake recipe where it is spread over pecans and fudge, so a butercream doesn't suit it. Other than that, I have have a caramel swirl recipe - where you can swirl it in the batter before baking the cake thumbs_up.gif Alleviates the need to struggle with the perfect consistency for spreading!

wilsonar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #40 of 45

I think part of my problem was the jet-puffed marshmallows and the other part was not using enough marshmallows. The recipe called for 16 oz marshmallows. I thought that meant to measure the marshmallows in a measuring cup (2 cups). With just the two cups it was clearly not enough, so I ended up adding the rest of the bag and that made it more like what I was looking for, but when I went to use it the next day it was really dry.

Is one bag really only 10.5 oz? Could my problem be that I didn't weigh the marshmallows and instead just measured out the 16 oz in a measuring cup?

Does this make sense?

MacsMom Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:

Is one bag really only 10.5 oz? Could my problem be that I didn't weigh the marshmallows and instead just measured out the 16 oz in a measuring cup?

Does this make sense?

They are sold in two sizes: 10oz and 16oz. My recipe calls for the 16oz bag, but three 10oz bags works jsut as well.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #42 of 45
Quote:

I think part of my problem was the jet-puffed marshmallows and the other part was not using enough marshmallows. The recipe called for 16 oz marshmallows. I thought that meant to measure the marshmallows in a measuring cup (2 cups). With just the two cups it was clearly not enough, so I ended up adding the rest of the bag and that made it more like what I was looking for, but when I went to use it the next day it was really dry.

Does this make sense?

Yes, you'll want to weigh not measure the marshmallows.

If I can't find a 16oz bag (it's getting harder to find lately) then I use one whole 10.5 oz bag and a little more then half of another bag. In the words of Miss Ray "I eyeball it" icon_wink.gif That seems to work out fine every time.

MacsMom Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:25am
post #43 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

Does this make sense?

They are sold in two sizes: 10oz and 16oz. My recipe calls for the 16oz bag, but three 10oz bags works jsut as well.

icon_redface.gif Oh yeah! (whoops) - I always make a double batch using either two 16oz bags or three 10oz bags... my bad.

wilsonar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm
post #44 of 45

Ok, thank you all for the help... I had a little bit of a brain fart I guess. I'm going to try again today!

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 10:54am
post #45 of 45

Does anyone know if I can use a stand mixer and a dough hook with macsmom's recipe instead of hand kneading?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%