How Much Mmf Needed ............

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 2:05am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:50am
post #1 of 7

to cover a 16 inch square, either one or two layers..not sure yet which...will one batch of rhondas mmf cover that? Sorry I could not find answer anywhere, if this is redundant

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:44am
post #2 of 7

Here's Earlene's chart: http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

She says it takes 8lbs to cover a 14" square. I've never done a square that big so I don't know how accurate that is. I've covered a 14" round and it took one batch of regular MMF.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:55am
post #3 of 7

I don't think Rhonda's makes 8lbs...I think it's closer to 3-5lbs (but my memory may not be totally accurate). I think you're going to need more than one batch...Excuse my laziness in not looking it up, but does Rhonda's recipe state how much it yields?

madgeowens Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 7

not that I saw I looked there first.....I can't believe I have to make yet another batch ugh.......may have to bc the 16

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah, I look at it this way: Rhonda's recipe uses 2lb sugar and almost 1lb marshmallows. Three pounds of ingredients likely yields approx 3 lb of fondant, or perhaps slightly less.

By way of comparison, the MFF recipe uses 3.5lbs of PS, 8oz corn syrup, 4oz cream, plus a few other ingredients...getting you near to 16 oz of "other ingredients" in total... and the recipe yield states "3.5lbs of fondant".

Hope this helps!

madgeowens Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 7

I guess I will ask her for sure thanks

madgeowens Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

she says a batch and a half

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%