Do Any Of You....

Business By catlharper Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm by FromScratch

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:52am
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

I won't do toilet bowls, dog bowls, litter boxes, poo piles, anatomy or animals of any sort.

However, I am making an edible piece of male anatomy in a few weeks. My best friend is getting divorced - her ex cheated on her 5 times in 2 years. The cake is a certain shape, and she is getting a meat cleaver to cut it. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif

Now THAT I would do for my best friend.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:18am
post #62 of 72

Ditto on swastika cakes.

I had someone want a swastika cake, too. I was like, 'Dude, don't you see the Jew star hanging around my neck?'

Remember that story last year in the papers about that family who was all bent out of shape because the grocery store wouldn't write 'Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler' on their kids cake? They had named their poor kidlets all kinds of crazy names like Adolf Hitler and Aryan nation and another Nazi inspired one, can't remember what it is. Then they said, oh we didn't name our kids for Nazis, we just liked the names.......

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Remember that story last year in the papers about that family who was all bent out of shape because the grocery store wouldn't write 'Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler' on their kids cake?

I think the children were taken away from them for a while. Anyone know whether they got them back again?

I also would not do anything that was offensive to me, or likely to cause offence to others. Genitals cakes, especially the really graphic "functional" ones, make my toes curl -- and not in a good way.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #64 of 72

I have no problem doing any kind of cake. Plastic people, stairs, "Naughty cakes", characters, any and everything. It's just a cake! Who cares?! I would put them in a "little black book" portfolio (the naughty ones) that people would have to come and look at to see what they want. It's not a big deal. I don't know why it would be.

And what's with not doing fountains, plastic people, and stairs?? I don't get it. The cake is for them and the money and exposure is for you. Weird.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabma80

And what's with not doing fountains, plastic people, and stairs?? I don't get it. The cake is for them and the money and exposure is for you. Weird.

Ummmm, because just as adamantly as you declare you will do anything, some of us don't want to nor do we offer to do certain things. And it's our business. And we aren't hurting for business from people who don't want that stuff. And it's ok.

Mabma80 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #66 of 72

But why the stairs and plastic people, etc?? I don't get it. Is it cheesy? Tacky? What?

_Jamie_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabma80

But why the stairs and plastic people, etc?? I don't get it. Is it cheesy? Tacky? What?

Personally, I think so. But ya know, there are plenty of people who do them, so theres decorators for everyone! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:20pm
post #68 of 72

I've spent years building a reputation for elegant, classy wedding cakes. Plastic stairs and people are neither classy nor elegant.

ANY business can choose what they want to sell. The 5/7/9 dress store does not sell plus sizes.

_Jamie_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #69 of 72

5/7/9 dress store. That takes me back!! Are those still around!?? Not that I could ever spend money there. Unless it was for one of my thighs...hee hee.

Mabma80 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #70 of 72

Ok. Well, I've been to plenty Quniceneras and weddings where they had those and they were beautiful. So, to each their own.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #71 of 72

What's wrong with the cakes with plastic stairs with little plastic bridesmaids and groomsmen "walking" up them?

Dude....it's a cake not a dollhouse. 'nuff said icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

5/7/9 dress store. That takes me back!! Are those still around!?? Not that I could ever spend money there. Unless it was for one of my thighs...hee hee.

They went out of business a while long ago... I used to work there as an assistant manager back when I was a youngin'. I could wear their clothes... but would choose not to... heheheh.

I don't find cakes with plastic stairs and fountains beautiful, but that's me. I don't own any of those accessories so I wouldn't make a cake with them on it because I'd have to buy them... and I don't want to invest in them because they aren't my style. Plus, no one has ever asked for a design that incorporated them so it's not an issue for me. I have nothing against anyone who loves them... it's just not for me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%