Downy Feathers

Decorating By kjt Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 10:53am by Ursula40

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 11

Anybody have any ideas how I can make them?

I am doing a "turkey fan" to go on a groom's cake and really need to figure this out, they are a big part of the tail feathers.

Thanks, y'all! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
kjt Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #2 of 11

icon_sad.gif anybody ??

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 11

The best I could come up with is a mold of a plume: http://www.houseonthehill.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=253

That should give you a starting point anyway.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #4 of 11

See my feather here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1576113.html

If this is what you mean I can PM you instructions.

hope this helps!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 11

I think I know what you're looking for. I don't know if it helps you at all, but could you use/manipulate cotton candy? I can't say whether it will work. (It was the first thought that came to mind when I saw your post.) icon_wink.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:26am
post #6 of 11

[CakeDiosa ~ Your feather is GORGEOUS!!!!!]

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiosa

See my feather here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1576113.html

If this is what you mean I can PM you instructions.

hope this helps!

icon_eek.gif Holy Macaroni Batman!! That's some cake!! icon_lol.gif Yep, expect LOTS of PMs from me requesting info on those techniques!! Beautiful work!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 11

I made one by rolling out on the flowerboard, inserting a wire into the rib, freehand cutting a long leaf shape, turning it wrong side up, so the rib side is showing. thinning the edges and using a sharp kitchen knife to score the feathery part, cutting through every once in a while. Then let it dry, I airbrushed it when dry.
LL

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:54am
post #9 of 11

Hey thanks for the compliments ya'll!!

Here is what I did with gumpaste:

First I rolled the center - um, I don't know what it's called - a quill maybe? Anyway, I rolled that out and let it firm up while I did the actual feather part. I just printed out an image from a google search. Rolled my gumpaste to about a 6 on my kitchen aid. Placed both on a light box. Cut out feather then took my wilton cutting wheel and scored the lines while it was still on the template so I'd know where to start in the middle so as not to score over where the center line is. After scoring I thinned and ruffled the edges on foam. Stuck it onto the quill then tucked paper towel pieces under the ruffles and let it dry.

Both methods sound fairly simple and produce a really nice feather. Hope we've helped!

kjt Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:46am
post #10 of 11

Thank you ALL for the replies!

CakeDiosa and Ursula, thanks for the feather instructions, but I need to somehow create the soft fluffy down. MalibuBarbie, I thought about using cotton candy, too icon_wink.gif . Wonder where I can find some - there's not a fair or carnival within 100 miles of me icon_razz.gif .

I'll let you all know what I finally use.

Again, thanks for the help!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:53am
post #11 of 11

If the weather is humid, cotton candy could melt, Try and cut the feather as finely as possible and use cotton wool nest to dry. Prop the down up, if you cut the feathery part very fine, and gently use tweezers to pull apart, that might be possible. Hope you are charging enough though, it's more work than you think. I was glad I only made a goose quill and not downy feathers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%