How Long Would You Thaw...

Decorating By Sagebrush Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 7:28am by Sagebrush

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 9

A frozen cake before levelling and torting it?

Am I correct in thinking that I should leave them wrapped while they are thawing?

Also, what is the minimum amount of time I can get away with waiting for the cake to settle after filling before I can ice it to avoid the bulge? Would setting something on top of the cake speed the process?

I'm helping a friend with a wedding cake, and the time we're able to get together to work on it is unfortunately more limited than I would like.

TIA

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 9

I always torte and level prior wrapping and freezing.

Yes, put one ceramic on top of the filled and plastic film wrapped cake. The tile should be roughly the size of the cake. Also use a really, really stiff icing dam. It will still need 2-3 hours settling time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 9

I level before freezing. Part of the reason is that I level the cake while it's still in the pan. If I flip the cake out with a dome still on it, I run the risk of gravity working against me, pulling the unsupported corners down and breaking my cake.

When I take it out of the freezer, I can do any final leveling touch ups.

I leave the cakes out 10-20 minutes, depending on size. They are still partially frozen, easy to handle and very easy to level.

Yes, leave them wrapped while thawing. Think about when you take a loaf of bread out of the freezer. you wouldn't open the loaf and lay all 16 slices out on the counter to thaw .... you'd leave it in the bread wrapper to thaw. Same with cakes.

Best case scenario for me is to crumb coat one day and ice/decorate the next. I have crumb'd in the a.m. and then iced/decorated in the p.m. with good results.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 9

If using the out of the oven wrap & freeze to get a really moist cake unwrap the frozen cake and allow to defrost about 10 minutes. Then level & torte. The semifrozen cakes will be much easier to deal with and won't break apart accidentally while handling them. Fill and crumb coat then allow to fully defrost & settle before final icing or/fondant covering.

Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:49am
post #5 of 9

*sigh* I don't know if I've just read too much and am trying to mix too many disparate processes or what.

I thought (based on other posts I've seen here) that you were supposed to wrap and chill/freeze just as soon as you could handle it w/o burning yourself. I don't THINK it would work to level and torte it when it was that warm, so how long do you let it cool first?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:03am
post #6 of 9

Till thawed

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:33am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

*sigh* I don't know if I've just read too much and am trying to mix too many disparate processes or what.

I thought (based on other posts I've seen here) that you were supposed to wrap and chill/freeze just as soon as you could handle it w/o burning yourself. I don't THINK it would work to level and torte it when it was that warm, so how long do you let it cool first?

I level my cakes while they are still in the pan and then flip them out onto the cooling rack ... all within 2 minutes of coming out of the oven. You just need a really good cutting tool ... one that won't grab and tear the cake..... nice and sharp.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:16am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Here's the original posting of the above method:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610054-.html

HTH

Sagebrush Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:28am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I always torte and level prior wrapping and freezing.

Yes, put one ceramic on top of the filled and plastic film wrapped cake. The tile should be roughly the size of the cake. Also use a really, really stiff icing dam. It will still need 2-3 hours settling time.

How long do you have to wait after you take them out of the oven before torting them? And how much of that time is in the pan vs. out of the pan?

TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%