Different Software To Use With Cricut?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 9:51pm by tiggy2

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 12

I have read through the entire 33 pg. article on using the cricut to cut gumpaste. Within all of that wonderful information it listed a few different programs that you could use with your computer and your Cricut. Upon going back to the article I could only find reference to SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot). I know there were others that were discussed. Some have to work with other programs and some being very user friendly. Could someone please let me know what you know? I am trying to do my research on the specific program that I would like to purchase. Also, are any of them free for download (always looking for a deal). TIA

Sheila

11 replies
sheilabelle Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 12

I dug a little deeper and came up with SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) and Make the Cut. Does anyone have a preference and why?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 12

I just got Make The Cut and am learning how to use it. It is pretty user friendly and there are many tutorials online to help. If you pm me your email address I will send them to you.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 12

I chose SCAL2 over MTC because I'm a MAC user and I didn't want to have to run MTC via Parallels. SCAL has a MAC version, so that made up my mind. I also had read some reviews that suggested that MTC was so new that bugs could be encountered. I didn't want to take a chance on lot of glitches that I might have to work around. I have heard that MTC is more user friendly and I would have liked that but I've worked with graphics programs on the computer and felt I would be ok with SCAL and so far I'm not having any problems. I did have to download Inkscape and have to run that through Parallels if I want to snag a svg file from the net to use in SCAL. That was a learning experience but it is working great now. HTH!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 12

I did trial versions of SCAL and MTC and ended up going with MTC because it seemed more user friendly.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 12

I LOVE MTC!! I got it about a month ago and used it to make all kinds of decorations for my son's 1st birthday party. Now, I am using it to make some art for his room as well as invitations/decorations for my sister's bridal shower. It is just so awesome!! I can't wait to use it for cakes, I've got some ideas in my head and can't wait to put them into action!

sheilabelle Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 12

jojo - Do you need any other software when using this with your Cricut? I have a friend that is willing to sell me her old Cricut. I don't want to have to invest a lot of money into software or cartridges.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 12

You do need 1 cartridge because a cartridge has to be installed for the Cricut to work. Other than that, you just need the cord that connects your Cricut to your computer and your're good to go!

It is a very user friendly program. I've been playing around with it when I get a chance and discover new things each time.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 12

I've researched both of them and I am going with MTC, it's just a bit more user friendly for me.

sheilabelle Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 12

OK - who wants to sell a cartridge cheap???? LOL

Debster287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debster287 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 12

you mean to tell me you can cut fondant with a cricut? I had no idea. that is so cool. how thick does the fondant need to be befor you cut it?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debster287

you mean to tell me you can cut fondant with a cricut? I had no idea. that is so cool. how thick does the fondant need to be befor you cut it?

It has to be fairly thin. Using a pasta roller is best. Do a search for cricut and there is a very lengthy thread about it. Linda McClure has a great DVD out that gives step by step instructions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%