Fondant Decorations On Buttercream?

Decorating By EvoksDecorating Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 3:02am by madgeowens

EvoksDecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvoksDecorating Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!
I am very new to making cakes with fondant. I've only made 2 cakes covered in fondant. I was wondering if i can still put fondant decorations, like cut out hearts, on the side and top of a cake if i don't cover it in fondant first?? I want to cover the cake in buttercream then place the fondant cutouts on the sides of the cake.
Does anyone know if the cut outs would slide down the side of the cake? Is there any other reasons that i would not want to do this? Also, if i can put them on top of the buttercream should i let me dry hard before putting them on the cake?
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Meg

6 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
Yes, you can at least if you are using crusting buttercream. Just smooth it out and lay the fondant on the top of the cake. On the sides you make have to add a little buttercream under the fondant decorations but it will hold and look great! icon_smile.gif

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 7

I do this all the time.... just brush a very light coat of water with a paintbrush onto the back of the fondant accent and it magically sticks to the cake icon_surprised.gif)

EvoksDecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvoksDecorating Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 7

Thank you both so much for the help!

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

If applying to a round buttercream cake I put the fondant cutouts on fresh with corn syrup or piping gel for the "glue".

mom2counts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2counts Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 7

Thanks a bunch for asking, I was wondering the same thing!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:02am
post #7 of 7

Just paint a dab of water with a paint brush....that will work

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%