Home Made Gumpaste Question

Decorating By kjt Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 1:28pm by mamacc

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 19

Hello to all you gumpaste professionals,
I made a batch of gumpaste last night using the recipe that calls for egg whites, Tylose and powdered sugar. It seemed VERY soft-should I be worried?!? icon_confused.gif
TIA,
Kathy

18 replies
JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 19

I am by NO means a gumpaste professional, and in fact, I've never mastered the art of making my own gumpaste either lol. Maybe someone can help because I'd like to know too.

I did end up just buying it premade and I love it, so if worse comes to worse......

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 19

Not an expert either, but how soft are you defining as soft? I buy the wilton powdered mix (Tylose is impossible to find it seems and Gum-tex is pricey); but it's usually pretty soft (like fondant) when it is first made. Leave a small piece out and see how it hardens.

kjt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 19

Soft like ummmmm-somewhere between bread dough and SatinIce, not as stiff as the Wilton fondant.
Okay, if I leave out a piece and it doesn't harden is all lost? Or can I maybe knead in additional powdered sugar?
Thanks, y'all.

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 19

I've made the Tylose, egg whites & sugar recipe many times (I don't really like it though) I've found it to be really soft just after you make it, I'm pretty sure you should let it sit for a while before you use it. I just remember it being really really really really stiff after it sits for a day or so and hating it because you have to knead piles of Crisco iinto it.

kjt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 19

oh noooooooooooo icon_sad.gif
do you have an alternate recipe that you like better??

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 19

Is it still very soft today? This recipe needs to rest for a while before use so it can firm up a little.

I make this recipe all the time. Did you knead in more powdered sugar after the initial mixing? Sounds like it just needs more sugar. Knead it in gradually by dusting it on your kneading surface.

kjt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 19

Hi Diane,
I did let it rest overnight, it doesn't feel as soft today, of course I'm just kinda squeezing the gumpaste in the baggie. I'm going to actually try to work with it in a little bit. How long should I let an object "set" til I decide I may need to knead in more powdered sugar?
TIA,
Kathy

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 19

If you used Nic Lodge's gumpaste recipe it can vary a bit, sometimes it requires more powdered sugar than called for, sometimes less. Just knead some in a little bit at a time until you can pinch the paste between your thumb and finger and you come away clean with no paste sticking to your fingers.

kjt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 19

thumbs_up.gif
Thanks Shirley, I can always count on you...
Okay, so it's still a little sticky and I'm going to knead in a little bit more powdered sugar. Do I need to let it rest again, or can I just knead in the sugar right before using the gumpaste...sorry to be such a dummy about this icon_redface.gif , but I feel like getting the right product to begin with will greatly increase my chances of successful flowers icon_rolleyes.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:41am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Hi Diane,
I did let it rest overnight, it doesn't feel as soft today, of course I'm just kinda squeezing the gumpaste in the baggie. I'm going to actually try to work with it in a little bit. How long should I let an object "set" til I decide I may need to knead in more powdered sugar?
TIA,
Kathy

The gumpaste should set up just fine no matter what the consistency is right now. The issue is its workability. If it's too sticky, sprinkle a little sugar on your work surface and knead it in. Like Shirley said, you should be able to pinch it without it sticking. However... this gumpaste does tend to the sticky side if you play around with it a lot, so be careful not add too much sugar. I think it's just the heat from your hands that causes it to turn sticky after it seems to be okay. So, just put that piece aside and work with a new piece.

BTW, after I've made my gumpaste (i.e., added all the sugar required), I dust my work surface with cornstarch. In my experience, it doesn't dry out the gumpaste as quickly as powdered sugar does.

Crisco also works well to keep the gumpaste from sticking to your hands without drying it out. However, I find that it's more difficult to color the gumpaste later when it has that greasy film on it.

kjt Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:59am
post #12 of 19

Thanks for the additional info.
BTW, I loved your comment about bonking the Wilton people over their heads with the turntale...I wonder with all the comments about this product, what are the chances of Wilton doing something to compensate those of you who have paid for an inferior product? Wonder if anyone has returned the tilting turntable???

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 19

I made Nicholas Lodge's recipe and it worked out quite well. You do have to let it set in the refrigerator for 24 hours before use. Then let it come up to room temp. before using. I think I added a little extra pwd. sugar also, you just kind of have to keep testing it by pinching together with your fingers. I will say, I love this recipe, I bought some wilton gumpaste and this is much better. It is also whiter in color, I guess because of the tylose.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 19

keep in mind that after you make the gumpaste and let it set up (covered, of course) it will be VERY VERY firm. After you work it (and you shouldn't have to need in a ton of crisco) it gets softer. It won't get stiff and firm again so you won't have to re-work it to that extent again - the next time you go to use it it will be very workable (the stuff you keep covered, I mean - the stuff you let dry will be rock hard).

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 19

The recipe from the cake bible is the best, I've been using it for 10 years, we make 8 kilos each time, so it dobles very good. You have to live it rest for one night. And it last for a long time in the fidge, I don't know how long, cause i'm allways using it, it never lasts long.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:14am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

The recipe from the cake bible is the best, I've been using it for 10 years, we make 8 kilos each time, so it dobles very good. You have to live it rest for one night. And it last for a long time in the fidge, I don't know how long, cause i'm allways using it, it never lasts long.

paolacaracas,

Will you please post the recipe icon_biggrin.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 8:38am
post #17 of 19

Anyone else have the recipe from the Cake Bible?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:32am
post #18 of 19

A very easy recipe fore gumpaste is to make royal icing using egg white and powdered sugar. This should be fairly stiff icing. Then add one teaspoon of tylose/gum tex for very cup of RI. I find u dont need to let it rest, so its great to make in an emergency. Be warned tho it dries a lot faster than other gumpaste!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 19

I just looked through the Cake Bible and didn't find a gumpaste recipe. She mostly talks about using either marzipan or fondant for things. I would love to know where this recipe is if someone knows! I have made gumpaste at home a bunch of times and haven't been completely happy with it. It's fine to use but my peices take too long time to dry all the way through.

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%