Cascading Roses

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:29am by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:55am
post #1 of 12

I have heard that some of you make your gumpsate roses on a toorhpick instead of a wire and stick it directly on the cake when cascading down the tiers. When I do wire roses, I bend the wire and hang it upside down to dry and set. How can you do this with a toothpick?

11 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 12

I would like to know the answer too. If anyone has a picture of a rose they made on a pick please post. I hang mine too so that the petals lay right. Seeing the difference would be great.

pacable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pacable Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 12

When I learned how to make roses we used toothpicks and I just bought a few rectangles of floral styrofoam (just regular, not the water absorbing one) and put a couple of books under the far edges of the foam to lift it up off the table. Then I just stuck the roses w/ toothpicks up into the bottom of the styrofoam to dry. worked for me...hope I explained it clearly

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 12

Duh, why didnt I think of that..lol!

pacable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pacable Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 12

This is what my roses looked like...still want to make some with a bigger cutter...these were so little
LL

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 12

I tried to do this technique yesterday but the petals just flopped down. I used a large rose petal cutter. What can I do?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 12

I've made them before using lollipops as a center. When I hang those upside down to dry, I have a wire rack that I usually use to bend stem wires over. So I bought some little metal spring clips and use those to hold the lollipop stick upside down on the frame.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 12

Little metal spring clips? I don't think I have seen them before. I usually hang flowers on the edge of a kitchen cupboard which has a groove so I can hang the wire. If it was a stick, could I tape it so it can stay in place or won't it hold?

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 12

Another option s to take a clothes hanger, and hang it from a cabinet knob... Then you can hang your wired flowers from that.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 12

very pretty....

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 12

I, too, use wires to make my roses and then bend the bottom over so I can dry them overnight. I hang them from a cooling rack...mine have legs so they stand up about 3 to 4 inches off the table top ( I think they are Pampered Chef). The next day I clip off the curved wire part and stick them into styrofoam for luster dusting and storage till I'm ready to use them. To place on the cake I'm really fond of those little plastic coffee stirrers which do not take up much more room than the wire or a toothpick would and they are food safe. Hope this helps!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:29am
post #12 of 12

I have been told that if you are to put cascading roses down tiers, its a good idea to use toothpicks. My problem is how you would hold them upside down (if I didn't have any metal clips etc..).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%